Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

Various Issues getting started

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We're trying some FPGA experiments, and are having issues getting through the Getting Started documentation for the Arria 10 GX here: 

https://www.altera.com/documentation/tgy1490191698959.html 

We are at step 6:  

• Program the flash memory on the board as follows: 

• Set the AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT environment variable to point the folder that contains your Intel
  • Run the following command to program the flash memory. This command does not use PCIe. It requires only JTAG.  

aocl flash acl0 boardtest.aocx  

The current problem I'm having is this:  

$ source /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/init_opencl.sh INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT is set to /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld. Using that. Will use $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE= /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/quartus to find Quartus AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT is set to /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/a10_ref. Using that. Adding /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/bin to PATH Adding /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/host/linux64/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH Adding /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/a10_ref/linux64/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH $ aocl flash acl0 boardtest.aocx Cannot find board_env.xml in /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/s10_ref  

Almost any other command I try fails with the error of finding board_env.xml for s10_ref, even though when installing Quartus Pro, I skipped installing the Stratix 10 device.  

Trying to install the Stratix 10 device and running as root are giving the same error. Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try "export AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT". If it returns s10_ref instead of a10_ref, check your bashrc and make sure the path is correct. It is probably best to set these environmental variables manually rather than using Altera's init script.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The env variable is set correctly; I'm not sure why it's trying to look for s10_ref, though. 

$ echo $AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/a10_ref
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay, That is strange. Have you checked to make sure there is no other variable in your bashrc that is pointing to "s10_ref"? I recommend cleaning up your environment and starting from scratch and setting all the variables manually.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've double checked my environment, and nothing is pointing to s10_ref. I will try to uninstall and reinstall the software, but any other suggestions are welcome :)

0 Kudos