Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15548 Discussions

Various Issues getting started

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We're trying some FPGA experiments, and are having issues getting through the Getting Started documentation for the Arria 10 GX here: 

https://www.altera.com/documentation/tgy1490191698959.html 

We are at step 6:  

• Program the flash memory on the board as follows: 

• Set the AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT environment variable to point the folder that contains your Intel
  • Run the following command to program the flash memory. This command does not use PCIe. It requires only JTAG.  

aocl flash acl0 boardtest.aocx  

The current problem I'm having is this:  

$ source /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/init_opencl.sh INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT is set to /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld. Using that. Will use $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE= /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/quartus to find Quartus AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT is set to /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/a10_ref. Using that. Adding /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/bin to PATH Adding /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/host/linux64/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH Adding /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/a10_ref/linux64/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH $ aocl flash acl0 boardtest.aocx Cannot find board_env.xml in /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/s10_ref  

Almost any other command I try fails with the error of finding board_env.xml for s10_ref, even though when installing Quartus Pro, I skipped installing the Stratix 10 device.  

Trying to install the Stratix 10 device and running as root are giving the same error. Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try "export AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT". If it returns s10_ref instead of a10_ref, check your bashrc and make sure the path is correct. It is probably best to set these environmental variables manually rather than using Altera's init script.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The env variable is set correctly; I'm not sure why it's trying to look for s10_ref, though. 

$ echo $AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT /home/drd/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/hld/board/a10_ref
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay, That is strange. Have you checked to make sure there is no other variable in your bashrc that is pointing to "s10_ref"? I recommend cleaning up your environment and starting from scratch and setting all the variables manually.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've double checked my environment, and nothing is pointing to s10_ref. I will try to uninstall and reinstall the software, but any other suggestions are welcome :)