Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

What is VTAP10?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys. So I have my Max 10 development kit installed and am checking to be sure I have the drivers installed properly. Quartus Prime 17.1 is running fine. :cool: 

But now I have what seems to be a problem.  

The Intel Max10 Dev board runs the included board software OK, when it comes to using the programmer, I have questions. 

I have been able to get a simple design to program and run, but only after fiddling with 'auto-detect', and removing a detected hardware called VTAP10. 

There is no VTAP10 showing up in the tutorial demo I followed, but the tutorial was using 15.0.  

I could use a little help. What is VTAP10 and how does it fit into the picture? 

Is the VTAP10 hardware part of the Altera/Intel Development board, or am I looking at a bad USB-blaster driver install or other mess up? 

What documentation should I reference to understand this part better? Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Is the VTAP10 hardware part of the Altera/Intel Development board, or am I looking at a bad USB-blaster driver install or other mess up? 

What documentation should I reference to understand this part better? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, it is virtual JTAG device is provided within the Onboard USB-Blaster II and it provides access to diagnostic hardware and board identification information. 

Refer MAX 10 FPGA Development Kit User Guide for “VTAP” & bellow thread, 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-max10m50-fpga-dev-kit.pdf 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49595 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

Intel Customer Support – Engineering 

(Under Contract to Intel)