Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16545 Discussions

What is the best way for a manual routing in Quartus?

IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi all.

In a quite a rare circumstances, there is a need for a manual interconnect resource choosing. For example, in case of oversampling scheme (the situation where a signal feeds multiple registers, clocked by different phases of the same clock). In that case we need precise values of both data path and clock path, and usually we need to rule Quartus interconnect resource usage, not only placement.

For example, for a manual placement, we have an opportunity to choose elements and assign their place coordinates using "Location" assignment:

Interconnect.jpg

Are there any right way to do that (or something like that) for interconnect elements?

Thanks in advance.

--

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kenny_Tan
Hi Ivan, Are you using Quartus Pro version, we have a new option call fractal synthesis to handle this type of case. It allows the Compiler to apply dense packing to arithmetic blocks, minimizing the area of the design. You can enable it in the assigment editor. this option is not support in Std version. You have to use the way above to manually assign those node. Kenny
0 Kudos
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi Kenny.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I know about fractal synthesis and it is not what I mean I suppose.

Maybe my screenshot is misleading, it can be not just MLAB but any element as a value of "Location" Assignment - LAB combinational cell or delay chain or so on.

The answer that you gave is not about routing elements selection, it is about math blocks packing for area at the previous step of compilation - at Synthesis.

So my question is how to choose manually routing resources. As an example I added another screenshot from TimeQuest GUI -

Interconnect_2.jpg

Here I highlighted Routing Element type in timing path.

--

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Unfortunately, there are no option to control the routing path.

0 Kudos
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi Kenny!

Well, it's sad to hear. I suppose it is because of a complexity of routing? Or for what reason?

--

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Yes, allow it to be enabled in Quartus is a very complex things to do. Sorry to inform that.
0 Kudos
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Ok, I got it.

Thank you.

--

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos