Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Where did the Memory Editor settings go? (Quartus 17.1)

BGrat
Novice

When doing a MIF update, I get the following warning:

Warning (113007): Byte addressed memory initialization file "armboot.hex" was read in the word-addressed format

Not surprisingly, when reading the memory, it is in fact offset by 4.

Now, I can't find where to turn on the option to read the .hex file using byte-addressing.

To make things worse, Intel's solution, found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/17.1/index.htm#msgs/msgs/wmio_mio_byte_hex_word_read.htm

does NOT work since there is not any "Memory Editor" in the "Options" menu.

When I do find the "In System Memory Content" Editor in "Tools" there is no option for changing the addressing.

How can I get Quartus to properly read the .hex file using byte addressing?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BGrat
Novice

Update: I was able to find the elusive "Memory Editor" window when I first opened a .mif file and had it active. Having a .hex file open did not work.

Is there a reason for this, or is it just poor user-interface?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @BGrat​ ,

Memory Editor option is visible once you open a .hex file in quartus and go to Tools > Options > Memory Editor.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

memory editor.JPG

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
BGrat
Novice

Now I'm getting this warning, even though I have no idea where this .hex file is used and it does not show up in the Analysis & Synthesis RAM report...

Warning (113006): Word addressed memory initialization file "pm_uc_ww49p5_main.hex" was read in the byte-addressed format

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

HI, not sure this address your problem.

Tools memory content editor is not referred to files but to device thru JTAG.

To edit an Hex file you can use file -open select HEX-MIF then select file and edit.

Screenshot from 2019-05-09 22:12:10.png

Before to open edit as shown a panel require you about word size slecting number of bit:

Screenshot from 2019-05-09 22:20:37.png

after that cell editor pane appear on quartus editor space:

Screenshot from 2019-05-09 22:12:40.png

Not sure due offset byte /word can be 2 not 4 so you are reading 32 bit mode?

Screenshot from 2019-05-09 22:23:28.png

0 Kudos