Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Why does vsim occasionally crash with ERROR CODE 4 when using Quartus Prime Lite (no license required)? How can I solve this problem?

fpga
Beginner
  • PROBLEM:
    • vsim occasionally crashes with error code 4.
  • TRANSCRIPT:
    • FATAL ERROR: Unable to read lock file necessary for use of uncounted nodelocked license. Exiting.
  • SOFTWARE VERSION:
    • ModelSim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition 10.5b.
    • Quartus-lite-18.0.0.614-linux.tar
  • ENVIRONMENT:
    • Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Server
    • x86_64 Architecture
    • Installed in /opt/intelFPGA_Lite/18.0/modelsim_ase
  • From the Quartus Install Guide:

"Intel offers the entry-level Intel Quartus Prime Lite Edition and ModelSim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition software. This software supports selected devices, provides limited feature support, and does not require license files."

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

I am not suere about the installer of Quartus Lite but the installers of the Standard and Pro versions come with both Modelsim Free and Paid; you have to specifically install the Free version. Furthermore, Modelsim Free Edition has a line limit of 10,000; maybe you are running into that limit?

0 Kudos
AndyN
New Contributor I

By any chance, is it failing when you re-run it after a successful run? I've had issues with some Modelsim sub-processes not getting properly terminating when running on Linux (which then gives weird behavior when you then re-run).

Andy

0 Kudos
fpga
Beginner

Thanks for your responses,@HRZ​ @AndyN​ .

• The Modelsim install is the Intel FPGA Starter Edition v10.5b, and the projects are well less than the 10k line limit.
  • It appears to fail at random, with exit code 4.
  • Per the Modelsim user manual, exit code 4 is a license issue.
  • This is consistent with the fatal error that shows up in the transcript.
0 Kudos
Sushmita
Beginner

Hi @fpga​ 

Even i am facing same issue. Did you find the solution for the above problem? If yes, please share the reason/ solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
fpga
Beginner

HI. Yes. I ended up requesting a license and it solved the problem.

0 Kudos