Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

alt_signaltap_run shuts down Matlab(2016a)?

BazingaWei
Novice

When i ran 'alt_signal_run' on Matlab 2016a, Matlab was forced to be shut down. I have add the installation path of Quartus bin in the system env. variables. 

is there anyone who has experience to solve this 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear BazingaWei,

What Quartus version do you use? Usually, Matlab is very sensitive when there is a different Q version:e.g. you should use Quartus 16

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you seems to observe some issue when you are running a command at Matlab. To ensure we are on the same page, just would like to check with you on the following:

1. Are you referring to DSP Builder when you mentioned Matlab 2016a? 

2. If yes, what is the DSP Builder and Quartus version that you are using?

3. Would you mind to further elaborate on the detailed step-by-step that you are taking to replicate the observation? Some screenshots and test design will be helpful for further understanding.

4. What is the specific FPGA device that you are using?

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
BazingaWei
Novice

Thanks for your reply, to your questions:

1. I didn't use DSP-builder only Quartus. I just designed a module, when i used the SignalTap in Quartus to validate the design, i wanted to transmit the data sampled by SignalTap to Matlab, so that i could analyze statistic properties. I have tried several times:

case1: i copied the 'alt_signaltap_run.mexw64' from Quartus installation path to Matlab\bin, and got       the  error (see. fig).fig.1.png

case2: i added the quartus installation path to Matlab before running the 'alt_signaltap_run', and got 

the error below.

fig.2.png

case3: add the Quartus\bin to the system env. variables path, some error occured.

2. I have installed only Quartus II 14.1. Ps: there is a folder called 'dsp-builder' in the Quartus installation path, it contains a few .v and .jar files, but i don't know if it is the DSP-Builder you mean and how to use it.

3. See figures.

4. i'm using Altera Cyclone IV.

Again, thanks a lot. Now i'm trying to transmit the data by UART, but if you know how to fix the error by using SignalTap in Matlab, i really appreciate.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Thanks for your update. As I understand it, you are trying to open data sampled by SignalTap in Matlab software and encounter issue. You are not using DSP Builder. Sorry as I am not sure if SignalTap output can be recognized by Matlab directly. Please allow me some time to check with our software team on this. If not, you might need to further consult Matlab if this is something feasible.

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As per my discussion with SW team, you may refer to the following KDB to see if it is helpful. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

0 Kudos
BazingaWei
Novice

Hi, CheePin_C_Intel,

sorry for late, i'm kind of busy with other stuff now. Thanks for your time and you discussion, but i don't know the KDB you refer to, also have no ideal where to find the 'following KDB' you suggested. If you don't mind, please make it clear, thanks.

Best Regard

0 Kudos
Melissa_M
Beginner

Hi, did you ever resolve this issue?  I am having a similar problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BazingaWei
Novice

This problem happens when the DSP-Builder in your Quartus doesn't match to your Matlab version. You may refer to the following file.

0 Kudos
Melissa_M
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the response.  I'm a bit confused. If you don't mind elaborating more:

Are you saying I need a DSP-builder blockset from mathworks in order to just be able to use the alt_signaltap_run ?  All I want is to get data into matlab from signal tap.    This use to be easy (back when I used Quartus II 13.1 and matlab R2010)

I have the Quartus Prime Standard edition - according to the document you sent, it doesn't even support the DSP-builder?  So I can't get data into matlab using the alt_signaltap_run without upgrading to pro edition?

0 Kudos
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear BazingaWei,

What Quartus version do you use? Usually, Matlab is very sensitive when there is a different Q version:e.g. you should use Quartus 16

0 Kudos
BazingaWei
Novice

Hi, dsmirnov,

sorry for late reply and thanks for the suggestion. I'm using Quartus 14.1, i'll try your suggestion.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
BazingaWei
Novice

i tried with Quartus 16.1, it can work with Matlab 2016a, although the problem still rises sometimes, but it works at least. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
BazingaWei
Novice

thanks a lot,

Matlab(2016a) can work with Quartus 16.1, although the problem still happens sometimes. 

Best Regards

0 Kudos