Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

cannot generate ddr3 core quartus 16.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having a frustrating issue where i am unable to generate a ddr3 core throught the ip catalog. 

I configure the core i want in the ip catalog and when go to generate the generation wizard hangs 

Info: ddr3_gen_0: Variation language : VHDL 

Info: ddr3_gen_0: Output directory : C:\repos\ddr3_ref_design 

Info: ddr3_gen_0: Generating variation file C:\repos\ddr3_ref_design\ddr3_gen_0.vhd 

Info: ddr3_gen_0: Generating synthesis files 

Info: Generating altera_mem_if_ddr3_emif "ddr3_gen_0" for QUARTUS_SYNTH 

Info: "ddr3_gen_0" instantiated altera_mem_if_ddr3_emif "ddr3_gen_0" 

Info: "ddr3_gen_0" instantiated altera_mem_if_ddr3_pll "pll0" 

Info: Generating clock pair generator 

Info: Generating altgpio 

Info:  

Info: ***************************** 

Info:  

Info: Remember to run the ddr3_gen_0_p0_pin_assignments.tcl 

Info: script after running Synthesis and before Fitting. 

Info:  

Info: ***************************** 

Info:  

Info: "ddr3_gen_0" instantiated altera_mem_if_ddr3_phy_core "p0" 

Info: "ddr3_gen_0" instantiated altera_mem_if_ddr3_afi_mux "m0" 

The wizard never get past this point..... 

I have tried this on quartus 15.0/16.0/17.1 on both lite and full versions of the software and it always hangs at this point... 

I dont know what to do?  

Any suggestions? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What's your target device and how long have you waited for it before thinking that it's hung? Were there any warnings in the IP Parameter Editor (or is it the Megawizard) that appear before you try to generate?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am targetting the Max10 speed grade 6. The only warnings i get are: 

Warning: ddr3_max_111: ODT is disabled. Enabling ODT (Mode Register 1) may improve signal integrity 

Warning: ddr3_max_111.pll_bridge: pll_bridge.pll_sharing cannot be both connected and exported 

I am assuming the ODT is not the problem since it has to do with signal integrity. The second warning can be ignored according to: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/fb203048.html 

I have let the wizard run over night and it still doesn't make it any further then described above...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you post the parameter settings you've chosen? Perhaps you've put in a mix that is not supported on your device but for some reason isn't causing the generation to fail.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you solved this issue? 

The same issue occurs when I use ddr3 controller IP 17.1 & 18.0. 

While I used my classmate's pc to do this , it can be finished rapidly. Both of our os are win10 1709. And we have used the same install pack.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yesterday I have tried to reset my pc and install quartus again, the issue is solved.

0 Kudos