Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

error 12006 help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am getting the error 12006 when i try to compile this code and cant see whats wrong with it can anyone help please? 

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

entity mux2_1_struct is 

port ( s,c,p : in std_logic; 

m : out std_logic) ; 

end mux2_1_struct; 

architecture struct of mux2_1_struct is 

component and_mux is 

port ( x,y : in std_logic; 

f : out std_logic); 

end component; 

component or_mux is 

port (x,y : in std_logic; 

end component; 

component not_mux is 

port( x : in std_logic; 

end component; 

signal n1,n2,n3 : std_logic; 

begin 

and_mux1 : and_mux port map ( x => c , y => n3 , f => n1); 

and_mux2: and_mux port map ( x => s , y => p , f => n2); 

not_mux1 : not_mux port map ( x => s , f => n3 ); 

or_mux1 : or_mux port map ( x => n1 , y => n2 , f => m);  

end struct; 

The error messages im getting are 

Error (12006): Node instance "and_mux2" instantiates undefined entity "and_mux". Ensure that required library paths are specified correctly, define the specified entity, or change the instantiation. If this entity represents Intel FPGA or third-party IP, generate the synthesis files for the IP.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you added the source code for "and_mux" to the project?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I dont think so , is the source code for and_mux not in the architecture? or do i have to create it in another file?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have a component declaration, but you need an entity and architecture (likely in another file) that define the behaviour.

Ravin
Beginner

Hi 

I am also getting similar error when i tried to use the UART IP in my project. Kindly suggest some steps to overcome the issue please.

Error as folllows

Error (12006): Node instance "comb_3" instantiates undefined entity "Altera_UART_16550". Ensure that required library paths are specified correctly, define the specified entity, or change the instantiation. If this entity represents Intel FPGA or third-party IP, generate the synthesis files for the IP.