Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

how to use decode_address_map tcl command

WDi
Beginner

In a QSYS system I'm using custom components which have base addresses assigned. The controller (not a NIOS) accessing these components must read/write to these base addresses for accessing these custom components internal registers. 

How can a get these addresses extracted to use in a controller (VHDL avalon Master state-machine). I have tried to use the decode_address_map function for this, but I can't get it to work. Does anyone have an example of how to use this tcl command, better then the example used in the reference guide. 

Or are there other ways to extract these addresses and reuse them in a custom VHDL-Avalon-master controller?

Thx in advance,

WDi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

You may find the example of decode_address_map in https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qps-platform-designer.pdf (7.1.2.10).

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
WDi
Beginner

Hi KhaiY,

Thx for your reply, I was not able to respond.

I still struggle to use this example.

set address_map_xml [get_parameter_value my_map_param]
set address_map_dec [decode_address_map $address_map_xml]
foreach i $address_map_dec {
array set info $i
send_message info "Connected to slave $info(name)"
}

What is used for the my_map_param value?
My custom avalon_master module is called "dummy"and gets the name dummy_0 once instantiated in qsys.
I added this piece of example code to the elaboration process of the dummy module, dummy_hw.tcl.
This results in an error.
Error: invalid command name "decode_address_map"

I tried to add the code to the instance parameter tab of the design, this also results in the same error error.

any ideas? A small design where this is used would be helpfull.

Willem

0 Kudos