Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
All support for Intel NUC 7 - 13 systems has transitioned to ASUS. Read latest update.
16488 Discussions

keeping signals for signaltap

nicoh
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using Quartus prime lite edition (language VHDL).

how can I "keep" signals so they appear in the siganltap search? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May be can try with attribute noprune check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/17.0/hdl/vhdl/vhdl_file_dir_noprune.htm, adding virtual pins in the Assignment Editor or use "pre-synthesis" filter in SignalTap's node selector and tapped the signal inside a "component" rather than in the top-entity where it is generated.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If you want to preserve signals to tap as post-fit signals, you can use the "keep" and/or "preserve" synthesis attributes in your HDL code.  There is a preserve for debug feature that uses project assignments, but that's only in the Pro edition of the tool.  You can also just tap the signals pre-synthesis, basically tapping the signals directly from your RTL code.

0 Kudos
nicoh
Beginner

I tried the "keep" and/or "preserve" (I always look for pre-synthesis) and doesn't work.. 

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
What exactly are you trying to tap?
0 Kudos
nicoh
Beginner

some internal signals in my project (flag, counter, etc) 

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May be can try with attribute noprune check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/17.0/hdl/vhdl/vhdl_file_dir_noprune.htm, adding virtual pins in the Assignment Editor or use "pre-synthesis" filter in SignalTap's node selector and tapped the signal inside a "component" rather than in the top-entity where it is generated.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos