Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15321 Discussions

license for older Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am in the situation where I need to use Cyclone II and Cylone IV FPGA. I found the latest Quartus II version doesn't support Cyclone II. So what version can I use (12.0?) and can I get the license for this older version? or can I purchase the license of latest software and "downgrade" it to older version?  

Thanks 

Leon
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am in the situation where I need to use Cyclone II and Cylone IV FPGA. I found the latest Quartus II version doesn't support Cyclone II. So what version can I use (12.0?) and can I get the license for this older version? or can I purchase the license of latest software and "downgrade" it to older version?  

Thanks 

Leon 

--- Quote End ---  

I use Quartus 13.0sp1 to support my use of the Cyclone II part. The free version works just fine, no license needed. 

For Cyclone IV I happen to use Quartus 16.0 (again the free version) and the newer version 17.x still support this device family I believe. 

You can download the above versions from the Altera software tools download pages.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

However the unlicensed Quartus cannot generate the programming file (.sof), can it?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

However the unlicensed Quartus cannot generate the programming file (.sof), can it? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes it can. It would make no sense at all if it couldn't. 

In my particular case I use the quartus_cpf tool to pack the generated .sof file into a .jic file so I can use the programmer to program the attached flash config device thru JTAG.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The free quartus tools only support the smaller cyclone parts. 

For larger parts (or stratix or arria) you will need a paid licence. But a licence should cover you for all quartus versions.