Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

modelsim.exe - System error because of MSVCR120.dll not found

Divya_lsai
Novice

Hello there,

I have downloaded and installed Quartus Prime Pro 21.2 along with Modelsim - Intel FPGA Starter edition and Arria 10 device family support. Quartus opens fine but when I try to open Modelsim, I get this error - "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR120.dll was not found. Reinstalling may fix this problem." Using Windows 10 x64

I have gone through the forums and already tried the following solutions, unfortunately nothing worked,

- Downloaded the Quartus Prime Pro and Modelsim from official Intel Download centre

- Reinstalling the mentioned software several times

- Formatted the laptop and reinstalled the software

- Installed the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable package 2015-2019

- Added the missing MSVCR120.dll file separately into C:\Windows\System32

- Setup the LM_LICENSE_FILE location properly in Quartus License Setup

Kindly request you to provide any solution. 

Please let me know if you require any other information.

Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RichardTanSY_Intel

Please checkout this link that I wrote on how to generate the Questa Intel FPGA Starter Edition license. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-FPGA-Software-Installation/Guidelines-amp-Information-on-Questa-Intel-FPGA-Edition-Software/m-p/1329999#M3363

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @Divya_lsai 

Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition will be replaced by Questa Intel FPGA Edition starting from Quartus v21.3 onward. Could you try to install the Questa Intel FPGA Edition and see if the issue persists. 

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/?product=modelsim_ae#tabs-2

If issue still persists, try to checkout the webpage below for debugging. 

https://windowsreport.com/msvcr120-dll-missing/

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
Divya_lsai
Novice

Hello @RichardTanSY_Intel , thank you for your reply.

As per your suggestion, I downloaded Questa - Intel FPGA Starter Edition v21.2. I have setup the LM_LICENSE_FILE in Quartus.

Now I'm getting this error - " Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variables are set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem."

I verified the environment variable settings and it has the license path as follows -
C:\intelFPGA_pro\21.2\questa_fse\win64\1-V48SFZ_License.dat

I ran the 'lmutil lmdiag' on the console (refer to the attached image)

Request you to suggest resolves for this issue.

Divya_lsai_0-1637404612594.png

Divya_lsai_1-1637404643804.png

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You probably need to generate a new license file that covers Questa.

RichardTanSY_Intel

Please checkout this link that I wrote on how to generate the Questa Intel FPGA Starter Edition license. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-FPGA-Software-Installation/Guidelines-amp-Information-on-Questa-Intel-FPGA-Edition-Software/m-p/1329999#M3363

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

Divya_lsai
Novice

Hello @sstrell and @RichardTanSY_Intel ,

Thank you for your reply.

I generated the Questa license file from the provided link. I updated the LM_LICENSE_FILE path and now, I am able to open Questa successfully. Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I’m glad that your question has been addressed. With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos