Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

out of memory in 17.0 compiler

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear All, 

I have a Nallatech 385A board and both SDKs 16.0 and 17.0. I was always successful to compile my kernels with SDK 16.0, but when I move to 17.0 I get out of memory error: 

*** Fatal Error: Segment Violation at (nil) Module: quartus_syn Stack Trace: 0x61383: google::protobuf::FileDescriptorTables::~FileDescriptorTables() + 0x43 (protobuf) 0x3c5ea: __cxa_finalize + 0x9a (c) End-trace Error (114016): Out of memory in module quartus_syn (2069 megabytes used) Error: Failed to synthesize partition Info: Saving post-synthesis snapshots for 1 partition(s) *** Fatal Error: Segment Violation at (nil) Module: quartus_syn Stack Trace: 0x61383: google::protobuf::FileDescriptorTables::~FileDescriptorTables() + 0x43 (protobuf) 0x3c5ea: __cxa_finalize + 0x9a (c) End-trace  

I have 64GB of memory and I'm compiling Bloom Filter design. Does SDK 17.0 requires more memory than SDK 16.0? 

Thanks, 

Saman
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure you use the 64bit-Version of Quartus? The numbers appear to be suspicios.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Newer Quartus should not require more memory, and 64 GB is enough for any Arria 10 design (as long as there is only one compilation running). Have you made sure no other process is using your host memory?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes we have no other process running on the system. Also I have set the environment variable "export QUARTUS_64BIT=1" as well. I don't really know why I get the above error. Is it possible that something like another env variable or package is installed in a wrong way?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think so. Have you tried any other designs? Also, have you tried to watch your memory usage with top to see how high it goes?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have not tried other designs yet. I was looking at htop and it doesn't seems like it's going to saturate the whole memory. I'm compiling it on the Ubuntuu machine, and I will it will not create any memory allocation boundary for applications.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Did you try the setting on the option panel? You can refer to the quartus handbook as  

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qts-qps-handbook.pdf 

Go to section 1.7.1.3 or 5.2.3 for more details.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alright I'll definitely try it and see if it helps or not. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have taken a look at the above link, but it does not say how to make those configurations. I'm on linux with no GUI. Beside I've increase the RAM to 128, but it still fails. I have no idea what's going on :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I have taken a look at the above link, but it does not say how to make those configurations. I'm on linux with no GUI. Beside I've increase the RAM to 128, but it still fails. I have no idea what's going on :( 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't think those settings even apply to OpenCL. Did you try another design? Start with the hello world example. If it still failed, please attach your "quartus_sh_compile.log" file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried Hello World and ut still fails. I have attached the quartus_sh_compile.log as well. 

One thing I was suspecting was the existence of protobuf library in my system. I've removed it and it still shows me the error :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This looks very strange, to be honest; the process is just crashing and it is clearly saying it was because of lack of memory. Maybe try installing the 17.0.2 update?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm also trying 17.1 and gives me the same error :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I really have no other ideas. Unless some other process is running on your machine and using all of your RAM, leaving no room for the compilation process, I cannot think of any other reasons why this could be happening.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here I've attached the error message I get for 17.1. It's a bit different from the other one. Any clue on this?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This one is failing because Nallatech's 17.1 BSP is not compatible with Quartus v17.1.2 and is made for v17.1.0. They have a note on their support lounge that you need to manually add a line to the BSP so that it becomes compatible with v17.1.1 and v17.1.2; however, in my experience, adding the note didn't also work either. You can try with Quartus v17.1.0 first. If it worked, then you can add the extra line and try with 17.1.2 and see if it works for you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is interesting. Here I have tried several things and here are the issues: 

1) when I try fast-compile option it works all fine and finishes properly (version 17.1.2) 

2) When I try v17.1.2 with default compile mode it fails with the same error above. 

3) Switching to version 17.1.0 gives me out of memory error. 

I'm really frustrated and confused. Is this whole set of Intel OpenCL toolkit that unstable? Without giving proper error messages? 

We basically have one machine with FPGAs, and a cluster of machines with Ubuntu on it. I'm using the cluster to compiler kernels in parallel. Without that, I cannot really proceed fast enough. The current issues with v17 and above completely blocked my progress. What do you could be solution for all these?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Too be honest, you probably are encountering a very rare problem. I have been using the toolchain for three years now on both Stratix V and Arria 10, starting from v15.0, and despite the numerous problems I have had, I have not had this particular issue. I have encountered "out of memory" crashes, but that is because I run multiple compilations in parallel and I am using a cluster that is shared between everyone in my lab and sometimes the memory fills due to multiple people using the machine at the same time. Your cases seems to be running out of memory without the memory actually being full, which does not seem right. I have one final suggestion: try increasing your swap size and see what happens. You can also try to find an automated way to periodically log the memory usage of the machine (or do it manually using top/htop) and see how the memory usage changes during compilation and if it fails again, figure out what situation it fails in.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try using the 64bit switch in the quartus command:  

Launch the Quartus II software with the --64bit command line option: 

quartus --64bit  

From the logs, it still looks like quartus is invoked in the 32-bit mode
0 Kudos