Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

"Report path" in time Quest timing analyzer, optimization of orignal circuit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to see paths in my original circuit along with logic element within paths.  

i write a verilog code, compile it, and then run the time quest timing analyzer  

in order to check paths and logic element within paths.  

but timing analyzer optimizes the orignal circuit and generate report paths according to it.  

e-g in verilog and and RTL view, i have 3 flipflops and 10 gates and time quest optimizes soo much that 

in post mapping / post fitting i got 3 FlipFlops and 2 gates. and "Report path" show path according to 

optimize circuit. 

Is there any way to get "report path" before optimization or without optimization, 

so that i can get paths in my original circuit. 

Immediate help in this regard will be appreciated 

Thankyou for your time and consideration
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not the timing analyzer that's optimizing your design, it's synthesis and the Fitter. What exactly are you trying to see? The analysis is always based on the netlist or snapshot you choose, so you could try (in the Standard edition) to create the timing netlist based off the post-map netlist (in the Pro edition, you'd select the earliest snapshot available, Planned, I believe). But if your design is already fully compiled, the timing analyzer is always going to use the post-fit netlist in order to provide accurate final timing numbers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i basically want to generate the report about paths present in a circuit from command "report path" available in timing analyzer but timing analyzer runs after fitter.  

i m using quartus prime pro edition. my input is verilog code. 

what i m getting from your response is the timing analyzer is always going to use the post-fit netlist in order to provide accurate final timing numbers. 

we cannot run timing analyzer before fitter. hence all the results obtain from timing analyzer are based on optimize circuit. m i rite? 

is there some old version of quartus where we run timing analyzer before fitter. or any other way for locating paths in a circuit. 

Thankyou for your time and consideration
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I asked, what exactly are you trying to see? Why do you need to see timing for something that will not actually get implemented in hardware?

0 Kudos