Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

setting default version of Quartus II in Windows 7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I installed Quartus II 14.0 but I don't want to switch over to it yet. I'm still running 13.0sp1. How do I make 13.0sp1 the default so that when I double-click a .qpf file the project opens in 13.0sp1 vs. 14.0? I changed all of the environment variables to point to 13.0sp1, and I tried to assign 13.0sp1 as the default for .qpf files in Explorer, but the projects still open in 14.0. 

Any help appreciated!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's my "simple" solution, along with how I figured it out. 

1. Start Quartus 14.0, and then exit. 

2. Start a Cygwin shell (not the NIOS II IDE Shell version) and type 

echo $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR 

and that points to the 14.0 install 

3. Start Quartus 13.1, and then exit. 

4. Start a Cygwin shell and type 

echo $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR 

and that points to the 13.1 install 

So, QUARTUS_ROOTDIR is dynamically set by Quartus, and gets left at the last version that ran. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Very interesting, Dave. Instead of using Cygwin I just fired up 13.0 and double-clicked a .qpf file and sure enough, the project opened in a new instance of 13.0. Kind of a screwy work-around but it works. 

Thanks! 

Bob S.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The described method worked well for me under Windows XP, but doesn't seem to work any more under 64-Bit Windows 7. Neither does starting a specific Quartus version switch the QUARTUS_ROOTDIR environment variable nor is the environment variable examined when deciding about the actual *.qpf open action. 

I'm not yet sure if it's a general 64-Bit Quartus problem or something caused by specific settings on my computer. 

I solved the problem temporarily by changing the file association with a file type manager tool but still wonder if I missed a Quartus specific way to switch the file association automatically? 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Frank, the simple solution described by Dave works also under Windows 7 64-Bit. I use this for switching between multible versions of Quartus (11.1, 14.1, 15.1). 

Jens
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For some reason, the behavior is different with my Windows 7 64-Bit version, as already reported 

--- Quote Start ---  

Neither does starting a specific Quartus version switch the QUARTUS_ROOTDIR environment variable nor is the environment variable examined when deciding about the actual *.qpf open action. 

--- Quote End ---  

I conclude from your post, that the problem is not specific to Windows 7 64-Bit as such. Thanks for clarifying.
0 Kudos
JFree1
Novice

I re-posted this issue as it was still present with 17.1 while using Windows 10.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P000040enaPSAQ/how-do-you-change-the-default-version-of-quartus-that-opens-files

I got it to work by temporarily removing the quartus.exe for the wrong version is was using from it's respective file folder, then launching a QPF and picking the correct association to the desired version at the windows prompt. Why this wouldn't work through the windows default programs manager is beyond me.

0 Kudos