Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

signal tap: pre-sythesis shall be named post-synthesis

AEsqu
Novice

Hello,

It is possible to probe signal tap using 

pre-synthesis or post-fitting results from quartus.

This is actually not correct,

if you run compile only, you cannot probe the "pre-synthesis db".

if you run synthesis, then you are able to probe the "pre-synthesis db".

So signal tap: pre-sythesis

shall be named post-synthesis.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No.  Pre-synthesis refers to signals exactly as they are defined in your HDL code.  You don't need to perform full synthesis to get pre-synthesis signals for Signal Tap.  Just run Analysis & Elaboration, which does not perform any synthesis.  The compiler checks your HDL files and makes the pre-synthesis signals available for assignments like in the Assignment Editor and for tapping in Signal Tap.

0 Kudos
AEsqu
Novice

No. run Analysis & Elaboration and you will see that you cannot probe the signal tap probes (delete the db before and try with a vqm from synplify). Quartus std edition.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
I wasn’t talking about a .vqm, which obviously has been synthesized by another tool. I’m talking about straight HDL code added to a Quartus project.
0 Kudos
AEsqu
Novice

I use a mix of straight verilog/vhdl and one vqm.

The vqm after elaboration shall be normally enough and not require a synthesis either.

Please double check.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
I’m not sure what you’re saying here but a .vqm by its definition is HDL already synthesized in another tool, so by its nature, it’s already post-synthesis. In Quartus to integrate it in a project, yes, you do have to perform synthesis.
0 Kudos
AEsqu
Novice

So by selecting "signal tap: pre-sythesis", I still need to run a synthesis,

as originally posted, correct?

Which is strange to me, as Quartus properly compile and elaborate the RTL + the VQM without problem,

so it shouldn't required a synthesis.

As you stated, VQM is already synthesized, so why having to run the synthesis step again in quartus to include it in the elaborated database? 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Alex,

Any other concern regarding this?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It's a 3rd-party synthesis result.  It has to get integrated into the project somehow.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Alex,

by definition vqm is already synthesized by third party as mentioned but it need to get integrated with Quartus flow thus a compilation is necessary

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Alex,

May I know if there is any update?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

No response from the customer after the answer being provided.

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos