Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

unable to open the device acl0 when using aocl program command

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all, 

i am trying to set up my de5-net board. i firstly flash to the initial configuration by typing "aocl flash acl0 hello_world.aocx ", which executed succesfully. then i type "aocl program acl0 hello_world.aocx" it gave me the following errors: 

aocl program: running reprogram from /home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/libexec 

unable to open the device acl0. 

aocl program: program failed 

can i know anyone has ever seen the same error? 

any suggestion is appreciated. thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Chris, 

I have actually seen this kind of error message when I started working with OpenCL on FPGA as well. 

What you probably want to try is to reboot your machine in order for the FPGA to load the image from flash. 

Otherwise, the image simply remains in the flash and is not actually used to reprogram the FPGA area. 

I cannot guarantee that it will work but at least why not give it a try? 

Good luck! 

David
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Chris, 

I have actually seen this kind of error message when I started working with OpenCL on FPGA as well. 

What you probably want to try is to reboot your machine in order for the FPGA to load the image from flash. 

Otherwise, the image simply remains in the flash and is not actually used to reprogram the FPGA area. 

I cannot guarantee that it will work but at least why not give it a try? 

Good luck! 

David 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks David, the problem was resolved after restarting the machine. 

Thanks for your advice.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Chris, 

Excellent. Glad I could help :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi David, 

I still have the "Unable to open the device acl0" problem even after I have restarted the machine. 

The flash is programed by using the aocl flash command. 

I also printed the kernel message and it shows that : 

[ 2708.215450] aclpci_init (676): 

[ 2708.215453] ---------------------------- 

[ 2708.215456] aclpci_init (677): 

[ 2708.215458] Driver version: 14.0.32 

[ 2708.215471] aclpci_init (698): 

[ 2708.215472] pci_register_driver 

[ 2708.215526] aclpci_init (704): 

[ 2708.215527] success 

I suppose that the driver is running OK. Then I am not sure what caused the failed of the programming process. Please help me ~~ 

I am using the DE5-NET board too. 

Thansk 

Dong
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dong, 

I think you may have to power off the computer completely before restart, instead of a simple reboot. 

Regards, 

Ryan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dong, 

Ryan is correct: you do need to perform a power-cycle (power needs to go off once and then on again) for the FPGA to actually load the image. 

A simple reboot will not do it. 

David
0 Kudos
driverdan
Beginner

Hey David, Dong, Chris

I am using version 18.0 and have flashed and shutdown the machine several times, for longer and longer time periods and still get MMD ERROR: [acl0] failed to open the device.

C:\intelFPGA\18.0\hld\board\terasic\de5net\tests\hello_world\bin>aocl program acl0 hello_world.aocx

aocl program: Running program from c:/intelFPGA/18.0/hld/board/terasic/de5net/windows64/libexec

MMD ERROR: [acl0] failed to open the device.

Unable to open the device acl0.

aocl program: Program failed.

the physical factory image switch is set to 0 and so is the pcie jtag image. so therefore that means the pcie jtag image should be on. and also the mini usb is still plugged in.

0 Kudos