Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

using typedef intput argument for function

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I want to pass a signal with a defined typedef into a function, however I got this error: 

10476: type identifier "data" does nto agree with its usage as "int_array" type. 

10559: actual formal parameter "data" must be a signal 

and I couldn't find an answer for it. My code is as followed. 

-------------- Sub function --------------------- package function_list is --* typedef type int_array is array (integer range <>) of integer; --* functions function sum(signal data: int_array(0 to 9)) return integer; end function_list; package body function_list is function sum(signal data: int_array(0 to 9)) return integer is variable sum_val: integer range 0 to 255 :=0; begin for i in 0 to 9 loop sum_val:= sum_val + data(i); end loop; return sum_val; end sum; end function_list; --------------- Main file -------- library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; use work.function_list.all; architecture rtl of main is type int_array is array (integer range <>) of integer; signal data: int_array(0 to 9); begin sum_process: process(sum_flag,clk) variable sum_val: integer range 0 to 255; begin if rising_edge(clk) then if sum_flag = '1' then sum_val:= sum(data); end if; end if; end process; end rtl;
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is because of the strong typing in VHDL.  

The int_array type in the function_list package is not the same type as the one you declared in the "main" entity. 

Hence the missmatch when you call the sum function, as data is int_array, while the function wants work.function_list.int_array 

The fix here is to remove the type declaration from the main file. You dont need it as it is already declared in the included function_list package. 

note: VHDL 2008 includes the integer_vector type that is an array of integers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Tricky. 

It get it now. Just one more question regarding to "integer_vector":  

- How to use / which package do I have to include so that I can use this "integer_vector" type ? Since it gives no suggestion for this type when I'm typing. I tried to search for answer but couldn't find. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First of all, integer_vector requires that you use VHDL 2008. Quartus does not have full 2008 support unless you use Quartus Pro 17+, so it may not be supported. 

integer_vector is part of the std.standard package that is included in all VHDL files by default, so no package inclusion is necessary.
0 Kudos