Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

will there be an update to the Lite Edition for Windows user?

Carlhermann
New Contributor I

As nowadays the 19.4 Pro has been released with the Lite version for Windows users still being the 18.1 released Sept. 2018 and any newer Lite version only being available for Linux - I am concerned that Windows user either need to buy the Pro or are "phased out" as potentional customers :-|

Maybe that is only my impression, but the "Linux only" releases for the Lite Edition and ongoing "The Windows version will be released in the near future." seem to proove my thoughts.

Ok, finally maybe we should be happy, that there is still some "free edition of Quartus" available at all :-o

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Hi Carl,

There will not be much changes or feature enhancement for Quartus release for std/lite. you can stick to use Q18.1. Any reason that you would like to upgrade standard version?

Thanks,

Best regards

Kenny

0 Kudos
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Hi Kenny,

thank you for the reply. Thus all advertised new features of the 19.x version like faster complilation etc. will either case never be included in Lite Edition at all? I.e. all 19.x versions for Linux are just for other OS support and perhaps some "facelifiting"?

As I'm working with FPGA since many years (first software was Max+PlusII, delivered on many 1.44" floppy disks) I was happy when ALTERA started to offer free Webedition for "standard" FPGA as I thought money is earned by selling Chips rather few Software licenses. ;-).

Thus, if all new Features will only be available in Pro (as you wrote no much changes for std/lite), I assume I have to stick with the lite 18.1 - Pro is too much bucks for me.

Kind regards, Carlhermann

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Sorry, I make the wrong announcement. There will be still some new feature in Quartus standards.

You can refer to https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/?edition=standard documentation links -> release notes.

For windows, there is a plan to release the latest version. However, you may had to wait awhile on this.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Any further question?

0 Kudos
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Hi,

ok, there will be some updates to the standard version (as Pro does not support all families this sounds reasonable). Nevertheless, the standard Edition still is some bucks for a one-year License :-| and might require to run Linux to be up to date...

Thus, the lite was always a good choice for low-budget FPGA developments like Cyclone and MAX10 with standard computer installations running also Office etc. (mainly Windows, I suppose).

Thank you for your support, it's up to Intel how to rate windows users ;-)

0 Kudos