Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
444 Discussions

Problem on downloading bitstream to a Stratix 10 MX board

ZZhan108
Beginner

Hi all,

Now I'm trying to programming the Stratix 10 MX board with a simple test example (4-bit counter). Following are my hardware and software info:

Software: Quartus Prime Pro 19.3

Hardware: Stratix 10 MX (1SM21BHU2F53E2VGS1) installed in a server (OS: CentOS 7) through the PCIe interface 

DIP switches: SW2[3:0] = 1001, SW1[3:0] = 1111;

I was trying to download the bitstream through the J15 port using a programming cable. However, I got the error message saying "Synchronization failed. Configuration error." The following figure shows more information about the error:

2.png

I do the following things for programming the board:

(1) Create a new project for my device (1SM21BHU2F53E2VGS1), write a simple 4-bit counter in Verilog and generate the bitstream (test.sof).

(2) Open the "Programmer" and press the "Auto Detect". Then I have to choose the device with following options:

3.png

However, no one exactly matches to my board (1SM21BHU2F53E2VGS1). Thus I simply try the last three options which seems highly related to my board, but I get the following critical warning:

4.png

(3) After clicking "Yes", I select the device (named with "1SM21BXXX") and click "Change File"; in the pop-up window, I select the bitstream generated in step (1), i.e., test.sof

(4) Finally I press the "Start" button to program the board and get the error mentioned before ("Synchronization failed. Configuration error." ).

5.png

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here? Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hanchen

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you can directly program the FPGA when you start powering up your PC?

0 Kudos
ZZhan108
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

No, I can't. What I tried before is directly programming the FPGA through the JTAG port (J15 on the Stratix 10 MX board). And I got the error saying "Synchronization failed. Configuration error" (The figure I attached in my original post shows more detail about the error message).

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you are observing it during the starting of powering the board? May I know if you facing the same issue when you remove the board from the system and power on the board using the external power supply?

0 Kudos
ZZhan108
Beginner

Thank you so much for your reply. But after patching my Quartus 18.0, I'm still getting the same error mentioned before. Any other suggestions I can try to resolve this error?

Also, I'm curious about the following step:

(2) Open the "Programmer" and press the "Auto Detect". Then I have to choose the device with following options:

3.png

The problem is that no available option exactly matches my board (1SM21BHU2F53E2VGS1). Could this leading to the downloading error?

Thanks,

Hanchen

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Your device should be 1SM21BHU2S1. May I know if you use external power supply to power on the board then can you programmed it immediately after power on?

0 Kudos
ZZhan108
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

No, I can't. But when using the external power supply, I got different error messages:

(18948) Error message received from device: Detected hardware access error. There is a failure in accessing external hardware. (Subcode 0x0032, Info 0x00000000, Location 0x0000B800)

(20072) A PMBUS error has occurred during configuration. Potential errors: incorrect VID setting in Quartus Project. The target device fails to communicate to smart regulator or PMBUS Master on board.

(209012) Operation failed.

After searching online, I find the following solution to this error:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2017/error-18948---error-message-received-from-device--detected-inval.html

It seems that I have to configure the DIP switches to the JTAG only mode. Thus I change the DIP switches to the following configuration:

SW2[3:0] = 1111, SW1[3:0] = 1111;

According to the user guide of Stratix 10 MX (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/cbc1517362051825.html#sgk1519171036412), I changed the SW2 to set up the JTAG only mode, as shown in the following picture:

6.jpg

However, with this DIP switching configuration, I got the message "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain. Do you want to open the JTAG Chain Debugger to troubleshoot the JTAG chain?" I guess this error is caused by the wrong setting of DIP switches. A picture of the correct DIP switch setting for the JTAG only mode will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hanchen

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you are able to share with me your sof file?

0 Kudos
ZZhan108
Beginner
0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you try with the attach sof file?

0 Kudos
ZZhan108
Beginner

Thanks for your help. I just tried your sof file with the JTAG only mode configuration:

SW2[3:0] = 1111, SW1[3:0] = 1111;

As I showed before, the following picture is my setting of DIP switches:

6.jpgBut again, when pressed the "Auto Detect" button in the Quartus programmer, I got the error message "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain. Do you want to open the JTAG Chain Debugger to troubleshoot the JTAG chain?"

As I posted before, I suspected that my DIP switch configuration was wrong so that the synchronization between PC and s10mx board cannot be correctly established. Thus, I tried the default DIP switch setting in the following documentation:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/cbc1517362051825.html#sgk1519171036412

Surprisingly, by using that default DIP switch setting, I can successfully download both your sof file (bts_pcie.sof) and my own test sof file (test.sof) to the s10mx board. However, I still have some questions about the unexpected success. But before that, let me first share my configuration of successful downloading the bitstream to the s10 mx board.

(1) Change the DIP switch back to the default setting:

10.jpg

(2) Open the Quartus Programmer, press "Auto Detect" and select the correct JTAG ID for device 1 (1SM21BHU2F53E2VGS1). We should choose "1SM21BHU2S1" for my s10mx board.

8.png

(2) Choose the correct JTAG ID for device 2. I think the device 2 means the Intel MAM 10 FPGA Power Manager, so I choose "10M16SA" for my board according to the s10 mx user guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/cbc1517362051825.html#sgk1519171036412

9.png

(3) Replace the device (1SM21BHU2F53S1) with the bitstream (sof file). And click "Start", the bitstream was successfully downloaded to the board.

7.png

However, I'm confused of the following figure from s10mx user guide:

11.png

There is a mismatch between the real board and the explanation in terms of the PCIe RT signal. In specific, the PCIe RT setting in the real board was set to the left side. But the PCIe RT setting in the explanation was set to the right side. So my first question is:

(1) What is the corresponding MSEL[2:0] for the real board setting in Figure 3?

Then my second question is:

(2) According to the s10 mx user guide, s10mx supports AS mode (MSEL[2:0] = 001) and JTAG mode (MSEL = 111). I assume the default setting shown in Figure 3 means AS mode and adjust my DIP switches to JTAG mode. But when downloading bitstream in the JTAG mode, I got the error message "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain. Do you want to open the JTAG Chain Debugger to troubleshoot the JTAG chain?" What is the problem here? I'm not sure what is the correct DIP switch configuration for the JTAG mode (MSEL = 111). A picture of that JTAG configuration will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hanchen

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The board does not support MSEL changes using DIP Switches. In order to make the changes in MSEL then you need to modify the Weak-pull up and weak pull down of the resistor on the board.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

S10_MX_MSEL.jpg

0 Kudos
ZZhan108
Beginner

I see. Thank you so much for the clarification!

But I'm still confused with the inconsistency of DIP switches configuration in the documentation. For example, in the following Figure 3, there is a mismatch between the real board and the explanation in terms of the PCIe RT signal. In specific, the PCIe RT setting in the real board was set to the left side. But the PCIe RT setting in the explanation was set to the right side. 

11.png

Also, from Figure 3, it seems like SW2-1 corresponds to the board label named "S10". However, the board label named "S10" is actually SW2-4 in Table 3.

12.png12.png

Thus I have the following two questions:

(1) What is the real position of "S10"? SW2-1 or SW2-4?

(2) What is the correct explanation of the default setting of SW2?

13.png

Thanks,

Hanchen

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1) The position and explanation of the SW2 is correct. The direction is from bottom to top. SW2-1 is JTAG Input, SW2-2 is M10, SW2-3 is PCIe RT, SW2-4 is S10.

2) The correct default setting is based on the Table 3 or the expanded switch. Please do not follow the exact board switch setting.

0 Kudos