Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
445 Discussions

bsp-create-settings --type spl error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have installed SoC EDS 17.0 on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS x64, but path for bsp-create-settings was not set in envirment variable 

$ bsp-create-settings bsp-create-settings: command not found 

so i export as follows 

$export PATH=$PATH:/home/soft/intelFPGA_pro/17.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloadergen/ 

then tried again 

$bsp-create-settings --type spl --bsp-dir software/preloader --preloader-settings-dir "hps_isw_handoff/soc_system_hps_0" --settings software/preloader/settings.bsp --set spl.boot.WATCHDOG_ENABLE false --set spl.boot.SDRAM_SCRUBBING true INFO: Creating BSP settings file... INFO: nios2-bsp-create-settings --type spl --bsp-dir software/preloader --preloader-settings-dir hps_isw_handoff/soc_system_hps_0 --settings software/preloader/settings.bsp --set spl.boot.WATCHDOG_ENABLE false --set spl.boot.SDRAM_SCRUBBING true SEVERE: Available BSP type values for the --type argument are: SEVERE: Available BSP type values for the --type argument are: SEVERE: nios2-bsp-create-settings failed. make: *** Error 1 

i dont undertand the error exactly, i think its related to --type spl option. can anyone please tell me how to overcome this error?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it looks like bsp-create-settings is missing the spl type. what do you get when you execute bsp-create-settings --type \? (with the question mark)? For me it saysAvailable BSP types are:  

It could be that your environment is not set up correctly. I don't think that setting the PATH is enough, Altera provides a script that sets up the environment for you. I don't remember where it comes from, but on my installation I've copied it to /usr/local/bin. Here are the contents: 

#!/bin/bash # ########################################################### # # # Altera SoC Embedded Command Shell # # # # # # Copyright (c) 2016 Altera Corporation # # All Rights Reserved. # # # # ########################################################### _SOCEDS_ROOT="/usr/local/intelFPGA/16.1/embedded" export SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT="${_SOCEDS_ROOT}" source "${_SOCEDS_ROOT}/env.sh" # ########################################################### unset _SOCEDS_ROOT (just replace _SOCEDS_ROOT with wherever your Quartus version is installed). Has you see it defines a root path for the SOC EDS and executes a script there. This script sets up a bunch of environment variables that are required by some tools. 

I have never created a preloader configuration from the command line myself though, I've always used the bsp editor (type bsp-editor from your command line)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes it looks like bsp-create-settings is missing the spl type. what do you get when you execute bsp-create-settings --type \? (with the question mark)? For me it saysAvailable BSP types are:  

--- Quote End ---  

for me it shows  

$ bsp-create-settings --type \? Available BSP types are:  

--- Quote Start ---  

It could be that your environment is not set up correctly. I don't think that setting the PATH is enough, Altera provides a script that sets up the environment for you. I don't remember where it comes from, but on my installation I've copied it to /usr/local/bin. Here are the contents: 

--- Quote End ---  

i have allready in Soc Command Shell by 

$embedded/embedded_command_shell.sh 

#!/bin/bash # ########################################################### # # # Altera SoC Embedded Command Shell # # # # # # Copyright (c) 2017 Altera Corporation # # All Rights Reserved. # # # # ########################################################### # ########################################################### # # Get the Root SOCEDS directory # if ; then _IS_WINDOWS=1 if ; then export ORIGINAL_PATH="${PATH}" PATH="/bin:/usr/bin" fi fi if && ; then _IS_CYGWIN=1 fi _SOCEDS_ROOT=$(cd "$(dirname "${0}")" && echo "$(pwd 2>/dev/null)") if ; then echo "${_SOCEDS_ROOT} not found. Invalid or corrupt SOCEDS Install" 1>&2 exit 1 fi export SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT="${_SOCEDS_ROOT}" if ; then SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT="$(cygpath -m "${SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT}" 2>/dev/null)" fi source "${_SOCEDS_ROOT}/env.sh" # ########################################################### unset _SOCEDS_ROOT unset _IS_WINDOWS unset _IS_CYGWIN if ; then exec "$@" else echo "------------------------------------------------" echo "Altera Embedded Command Shell" echo echo "Version 17.0 " echo "------------------------------------------------" # Use bash --norc to get a clean shell # Use bash --rcfile <bashrc> to for a user rcfile # Default to using ~/.bashrc exec bash fi  

--- Quote Start ---  

I have never created a preloader configuration from the command line myself though, I've always used the bsp editor (type bsp-editor from your command line) 

--- Quote End ---  

as per your suggestion i tried for bsp-editor, but as i create new HPS bsp, there is no drop down option for 'Cyclone V' and also the ok button is disable on selection of preloader setting directory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So if it is not your environment, could it be that a part of the installation is missing? When you installed Quartus, did you also install the Cyclone V device and the Soc EDS? All the devices are in a separate installation, and so does the Soc EDC if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for reply, 

--- Quote Start ---  

So if it is not your environment, could it be that a part of the installation is missing?  

--- Quote End ---  

For safe side, I have reinstall the Soc EDS. But the result is same. 

--- Quote Start ---  

When you installed Quartus, did you also install the Cyclone V device and the Soc EDS? All the devices are in a separate installation, and so does the Soc EDC if I remember correctly. 

--- Quote End ---  

yes i have installed Cyclone V device and the Soc EDS with Quartus, I can build Quartus project for cyclone V in current installation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

same here. when starting bsp-editor from eds environment, it displays: 

INFO: Initializing BSP components... 

2018.03.19.10:20:48 Conan.addPluginPath:477 (3) adding search path "/home/**/intelFPGA_lite/17.1/quartus/sopc_builder/bin/root_components.ipx" as "/home/**/intelFPGA_lite/17.1/quar 

- tus/sopc_builder/bin/root_components.ipx" because ipx file 

looks like the path is broken
0 Kudos