Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
266 Discussions

bsp-create-settings --type spl error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

i have installed SoC EDS 17.0 on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS x64, but path for bsp-create-settings was not set in envirment variable 

$ bsp-create-settings bsp-create-settings: command not found 

so i export as follows 

$export PATH=$PATH:/home/soft/intelFPGA_pro/17.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloadergen/ 

then tried again 

$bsp-create-settings --type spl --bsp-dir software/preloader --preloader-settings-dir "hps_isw_handoff/soc_system_hps_0" --settings software/preloader/settings.bsp --set spl.boot.WATCHDOG_ENABLE false --set spl.boot.SDRAM_SCRUBBING true INFO: Creating BSP settings file... INFO: nios2-bsp-create-settings --type spl --bsp-dir software/preloader --preloader-settings-dir hps_isw_handoff/soc_system_hps_0 --settings software/preloader/settings.bsp --set spl.boot.WATCHDOG_ENABLE false --set spl.boot.SDRAM_SCRUBBING true SEVERE: Available BSP type values for the --type argument are: SEVERE: Available BSP type values for the --type argument are: SEVERE: nios2-bsp-create-settings failed. make: *** Error 1 

i dont undertand the error exactly, i think its related to --type spl option. can anyone please tell me how to overcome this error?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Yes it looks like bsp-create-settings is missing the spl type. what do you get when you execute bsp-create-settings --type \? (with the question mark)? For me it saysAvailable BSP types are:  

It could be that your environment is not set up correctly. I don't think that setting the PATH is enough, Altera provides a script that sets up the environment for you. I don't remember where it comes from, but on my installation I've copied it to /usr/local/bin. Here are the contents: 

#!/bin/bash # ########################################################### # # # Altera SoC Embedded Command Shell # # # # # # Copyright (c) 2016 Altera Corporation # # All Rights Reserved. # # # # ########################################################### _SOCEDS_ROOT="/usr/local/intelFPGA/16.1/embedded" export SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT="${_SOCEDS_ROOT}" source "${_SOCEDS_ROOT}/env.sh" # ########################################################### unset _SOCEDS_ROOT (just replace _SOCEDS_ROOT with wherever your Quartus version is installed). Has you see it defines a root path for the SOC EDS and executes a script there. This script sets up a bunch of environment variables that are required by some tools. 

I have never created a preloader configuration from the command line myself though, I've always used the bsp editor (type bsp-editor from your command line)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes it looks like bsp-create-settings is missing the spl type. what do you get when you execute bsp-create-settings --type \? (with the question mark)? For me it saysAvailable BSP types are:  

--- Quote End ---  

for me it shows  

$ bsp-create-settings --type \? Available BSP types are:  

--- Quote Start ---  

It could be that your environment is not set up correctly. I don't think that setting the PATH is enough, Altera provides a script that sets up the environment for you. I don't remember where it comes from, but on my installation I've copied it to /usr/local/bin. Here are the contents: 

--- Quote End ---  

i have allready in Soc Command Shell by 

$embedded/embedded_command_shell.sh 

#!/bin/bash # ########################################################### # # # Altera SoC Embedded Command Shell # # # # # # Copyright (c) 2017 Altera Corporation # # All Rights Reserved. # # # # ########################################################### # ########################################################### # # Get the Root SOCEDS directory # if ; then _IS_WINDOWS=1 if ; then export ORIGINAL_PATH="${PATH}" PATH="/bin:/usr/bin" fi fi if && ; then _IS_CYGWIN=1 fi _SOCEDS_ROOT=$(cd "$(dirname "${0}")" && echo "$(pwd 2>/dev/null)") if ; then echo "${_SOCEDS_ROOT} not found. Invalid or corrupt SOCEDS Install" 1>&2 exit 1 fi export SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT="${_SOCEDS_ROOT}" if ; then SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT="$(cygpath -m "${SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT}" 2>/dev/null)" fi source "${_SOCEDS_ROOT}/env.sh" # ########################################################### unset _SOCEDS_ROOT unset _IS_WINDOWS unset _IS_CYGWIN if ; then exec "$@" else echo "------------------------------------------------" echo "Altera Embedded Command Shell" echo echo "Version 17.0 " echo "------------------------------------------------" # Use bash --norc to get a clean shell # Use bash --rcfile <bashrc> to for a user rcfile # Default to using ~/.bashrc exec bash fi  

--- Quote Start ---  

I have never created a preloader configuration from the command line myself though, I've always used the bsp editor (type bsp-editor from your command line) 

--- Quote End ---  

as per your suggestion i tried for bsp-editor, but as i create new HPS bsp, there is no drop down option for 'Cyclone V' and also the ok button is disable on selection of preloader setting directory.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

So if it is not your environment, could it be that a part of the installation is missing? When you installed Quartus, did you also install the Cyclone V device and the Soc EDS? All the devices are in a separate installation, and so does the Soc EDC if I remember correctly.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks for reply, 

--- Quote Start ---  

So if it is not your environment, could it be that a part of the installation is missing?  

--- Quote End ---  

For safe side, I have reinstall the Soc EDS. But the result is same. 

--- Quote Start ---  

When you installed Quartus, did you also install the Cyclone V device and the Soc EDS? All the devices are in a separate installation, and so does the Soc EDC if I remember correctly. 

--- Quote End ---  

yes i have installed Cyclone V device and the Soc EDS with Quartus, I can build Quartus project for cyclone V in current installation.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

same here. when starting bsp-editor from eds environment, it displays: 

INFO: Initializing BSP components... 

2018.03.19.10:20:48 Conan.addPluginPath:477 (3) adding search path "/home/**/intelFPGA_lite/17.1/quartus/sopc_builder/bin/root_components.ipx" as "/home/**/intelFPGA_lite/17.1/quar 

- tus/sopc_builder/bin/root_components.ipx" because ipx file 

looks like the path is broken