Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Can't download SGX PSW

Carly1
Employee

I am trying to run the sampleEnclave SGX  SDK application on my laptop (Windows 10 Lenovo Thinkpad, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10610U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz). My laptop has SGX enabled in BIOS and the SDK is installed and works, however, I encountered the an issue where SGX test application is missing sgx_urts.dll.

According to this I am missing the SGX PSW but my attempts to install it are not working. The installation guide says "If BIOS has been configured to enable Intel® SGX and the system is configured to obtain updates from Windows Update, it will automatically install the Intel®
SGX base driver and the Intel® SGX PSW from Windows Update", however I have gotten no option for an update and they still do not appear in my device manager. I also tried to manually do it using the commands pnputil  /add-driver sgx_base.inf /install and pnputil /add-driver sgx_psw.inf /install but I get "Failed to add driver package: Missing or invalid driver package specified."

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JesusG_Intel

Hello Carly,

If SGX is Enabled in BIOS then the driver should install automatically with Windows Update. At this point, it is out of Intel's hands.

You can try one more thing...try to enable SGX via an app, just in case.

1. Download and install the Intel® Software Guard Extensions Activation App from the Microsoft Store*.
  2. Run the app as Administrator to enable Intel SGX in the BIOS.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Check that Intel SGX is Enabled in BIOS.

If this still doesn't work, we recommend you go to your OEM for further support. Once the driver is installed. the PSW will follow.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JesusG_Intel

Hello Carly,

Does your SGX setting in BIOS say "Enabled" or "Software Controlled?"

You mention that the SDK is installed and working. How do you know the SDK is working if the SampleEnclave fails because of the missing sgx_urts.dll?

Did you follow these instructions exactly?

1. Download the Intel® Software Guard Extensions Platform Software for Windows* (You will find it in your Products list in Intel Registration Center.)
  2. Double-click on Intel SGX PSW for Windows v2.12.103.1.exe
  3. Extract the files to your desired directory.
  4. Go to \Intel SGX PSW for Windows v2.12.103.1\PSW_INF_RS3_and_above
  5. Open Powershell as Administrator and run: pnputil /add-driver sgx_psw.inf /install
  6. Look for the successful installation message.
  7. Check that sgx_urts.dll is under C:\Windows\System32

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Carly1
Employee

My SGX setting says "Enabled."

Also, sorry, by the SDK working I meant that it seemed to install properly and I could build the files that it came with.

I followed your instructions for installing SGX PSW and now see sgx_urts.dll in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\sgx_psw.inf_amd64_69d915519e0a2ac8. However, even after this I still get the error running the SampleEnclave code. I also tried reinstalling the most recent SGX SDK .

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

SGX Dev Manager.PNG

Hello Carly,

The PSW will not install if the SGX driver is not installed first. If the entry for SGX is not in Device Manager then the driver is not installed.

Check Device Manager -> Software Components -> Intel(R) Software Guard Extensions Software.

Did you try running Windows Update manually?

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Carly1
Employee

I don't see the driver so it must not be installed. I tried running Windows update but nothing comes up. Where can I install the driver?

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

Hello Carly,

If SGX is Enabled in BIOS then the driver should install automatically with Windows Update. At this point, it is out of Intel's hands.

You can try one more thing...try to enable SGX via an app, just in case.

1. Download and install the Intel® Software Guard Extensions Activation App from the Microsoft Store*.
  2. Run the app as Administrator to enable Intel SGX in the BIOS.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Check that Intel SGX is Enabled in BIOS.

If this still doesn't work, we recommend you go to your OEM for further support. Once the driver is installed. the PSW will follow.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Carly1
Employee

Hi, I already tried this and it didn't work. My laptop was provided to me by Intel (I am an intern), so where should I go for further help?

0 Kudos