Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Desktop motherboards in market that support SGX BIOS ?

Pike_H_
Beginner

Hi experts,

I check https://github.com/ayeks/SGX-hardware, and make sure my CPU support SGX.
But, in "Desktop Mainboards", there is no known model.
I am using ASUS H170M-Plus with latest BIOS 1805 (date:2016/07/08),
but not having any SGX related option in BIOS.

I am wondering which motherboards in market are confirmed having SGX support ?

Thanks,
Pike

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Surenthar_S_Intel

The best advice I can give: don’t buy a system unless you can review its technical specs and see either: 

• A 6000-series model number (i3-6xxx, i5-6xxx, or i7-6xxx), or The phrase “Intel® 6th generation CoreTM processor”
  • All 6th generation Intel processors support SGX. Before you purchase kindly refer to Intel ARK website(http://ark.intel.com/) for the list of processors that supports SGX and also make sure to check with OEM to provide drivers and firmware to support SGX

Thanks and Regards,
Surenthar Selvaraj

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Surenthar_S_Intel

The best advice I can give: don’t buy a system unless you can review its technical specs and see either: 

• A 6000-series model number (i3-6xxx, i5-6xxx, or i7-6xxx), or The phrase “Intel® 6th generation CoreTM processor”
  • All 6th generation Intel processors support SGX. Before you purchase kindly refer to Intel ARK website(http://ark.intel.com/) for the list of processors that supports SGX and also make sure to check with OEM to provide drivers and firmware to support SGX

Thanks and Regards,
Surenthar Selvaraj

0 Kudos
JohnnyM
Beginner

Ok well first of all, i don't know who labeled it as a solution, but you never answered Pike's question. And nobody here addressed that in their replies.

He asked about MOTHERBOARDS with native SGX support, and you all kept telling him about CPUs. The motherboard MUST HAVE native SGX support because it can't be created or enables with software - i.e. BIOS, third-party etc

What we need to know, is if SGX support on a motherboard is mandatory for HDR playback. NOT on CPUs. If the motherboard doesn't have native SGX to enable it in BIOS for example, it'll cause problems.

Some have said that any mobo that supports SGX CPUs, anything after Skylake, won't have issues. But those comments were from 2017. I haven't been able to confirm whether that's true.

(Of course we're talking about boards that use anything below 11th gen CPUs. Because we know that because it's a pain in the ass to make a build around SGX, Intel has removed it with their 11th gen CPUs.)

P.S. you mentioned below that Gigabyte has mobos that support SGX, but you never mention HOW TO IDENTIFY which board has that capability. Github has a list but it only lists hardware that is 4 years old. And Gigabyte doesn't have date sheets for each motherboard like Intel for its CPUs so you can check for SGX support!! So the question is HOW TO IDENTIFY which mobos have SGX....

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

Hello JohnnyM,

Unfortunately, Intel does not have a list of motherboards that support SGX. It is up to each OEM to publish the specs for their systems. We recommend inquiring with the motherboard vendor about SGX support before purchasing a system.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Stephen_W
Beginner

Just to clarify, the 11th generation Intel processors ( I have an i9-11900K) do NOT support SGX?

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

Hello Stephen_W,

Correct, 11th Gen Intel Core processors, including the Intel Core i9_11900K, do not support Intel SGX. You can see this at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/212325/intel-core-i911900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html, by scrolling down to the Security and Reliability Section. 

Follow the instructions in this article to find processors with Intel SGX support.

Note that processor support is not enough. As mentioned in this thread, the OEM must also enable it in the BIOS. See Properly Detecting Intel Software Guard Extensions in Your Applications for more details on the requirements.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Pike_H_
Beginner

Hi Selvaraj,
Thanks for reply.
I use i5-6400, and I am sure it having SGX support.
I am trying to buy desktop motherboard from market instead of OEM platforms,
and I also ask major motherboard makers, ASUS/GIGABYTE/MSI,
but no one have a confirmed answer that which board having SGX support (BIOS control).
So, do you have any idea about retail motherboard having SGX support ? Or I can only use OEM platform ?
Thanks,
Pike

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi Pike,

Gigabyte has a board that supports SGX but requires BIOS update (see attached for details).

That being said, my recommendation is to use an OEM platform that was verified as SGX ready. You can use Intel’s NUC which is less expensive.

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Fujitsu main boards support SGX: Mainboards - Fujitsu India

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
Chuanqi_Z_Intel
Employee

Surenthar Selvaraj. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Pike,

Gigabyte has a board that supports SGX but requires BIOS update (see attached for details).

That being said, my recommendation is to use an OEM platform that was verified as SGX ready. You can use Intel’s NUC which is less expensive.

-Surenthar

so where is the attached info you mentioned aboved? I can't find it.

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Sorry. Its typo error. There is no attachment for that query. 

Updated:

Gigabyte has a board that supports SGX but requires BIOS update.

-Thanks

0 Kudos
tianyu_l_
Beginner

Hi Selvaraj,

I want to know what are the features of matherboard to support SGX. Is it Trusted Platform Module ?

Thanks,
Tianyu Li

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi,

Please find the below for your reference

Required Hardware: 
6th generation Intel® Core™ processor (or later) based platform with Intel SGX-enabled BIOS support.

Supported operating systems for Intel® SGX SDK:
Microsoft Windows* 7, 64-bit
Microsoft Windows* 8.1, 64-bit
Microsoft Windows® 10, 64-bit
Microsoft Windows® 10 Threshold 2, 64-bit
Ubuntu* Version 14.04

Required Development Software Installer:
Intel® Parallel Studio XE for Windows* Version 2015 Update 5
Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013 Professional Edition is required as IDE.

Supported Languages: 
C and C++

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
SChbi
Beginner

Hello,

Is there a Desktop Motherboard for Corei9 7980XE (socket 2066) which supports SGX?

Regards

0 Kudos