Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Enabling SGX if BIOS doesn't provide Settings

rzde
Beginner

Hi,

I've recently purchased a device (Microsoft Surface Laptop 3) with an SGX enabled CPU in order to use it for SGX development, however the BIOS is missing an option to set SGX to enabled (or actually do anything SGX related) and the Microsoft Store app simply tells me that I can't enable SGX using this app (which would make sense if SGX is simply disabled in the BIOS with no option to enable it).

I've contacted Microsoft Support, and have received some cryptic messages on how to enable it that were pretty much "Install the Driver, it might work then", but the driver will automatically be installed via Windows Update as soon as SGX is enabled in the BIOS afaik.

I'm almost certain you won't be able to help me, but they've asked me to contact Intel Support over this issue.

I'm running Windows 10 x64 on an i5-1035G7.

Please let me know if you need any further information, sorry for wasting your time if Microsoft Support is simply wrong and Microsoft needs to finally get their BIOS up to scratch.

Thanks a lot.

1 Solution
JesusG_Intel

Hello rzde,

The BIOS manufacturer is responsible for exposing SGX settings in the BIOS. If Microsoft, or the manufacturer of the BIOS in the Surface, does not expose SGX in the BIOS then there is nothing Intel can do about it and you cannot run SGX-enabled applications on it.

I did a cursory web search for "Microsoft Surface SGX" and found that this has been an issue with Surface products for many years.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JesusG_Intel

Hello rzde,

The BIOS manufacturer is responsible for exposing SGX settings in the BIOS. If Microsoft, or the manufacturer of the BIOS in the Surface, does not expose SGX in the BIOS then there is nothing Intel can do about it and you cannot run SGX-enabled applications on it.

I did a cursory web search for "Microsoft Surface SGX" and found that this has been an issue with Surface products for many years.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

JesusG_Intel

This thread has been marked as answered and Intel will no longer monitor this thread. If you want a response from Intel in a follow-up question, please open a new thread.

0 Kudos