cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zigdass
Beginner

Enabling SGX in BIOS for Lenovo S510

Hello,

I want to test Intel SGX on my newly acquired Lenovo tower S510 10L3-000JFM with Intel Core i7-6700 CPU.

I checked via a tool found in https://github.com/ayeks/SGX-hardware that this CPU supports Intel SGX but it is not enabled in BIOS.

My BIOS last update date is 01/09/2016 and the CPU microcode last updated on 07/01/2016.

On my OEM site, there is a new update release for the BIOS https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ae/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-s-series-all-in-ones/s51....

My question is: is this update support Intel SGX? or Not?

I do not want to proceed to this risky updating operation before being sure.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hoang_N_Intel
Employee

In general, you need to redirect this type of questions to specific OEMs in this case, Lenovo for details in each BIOS release. A standard assumption that I would make is that if the OEM releases a new BIOS version for a platform supporting enabled SGX, it should maintain the same support in the new release. To be certain, you should check with Lenovo.

Zigdass
Beginner

Thank you Hoang Nguyen for your prompt reply.

Can I understand that when an OEM releases a new BIOS version for a platform not supporting SGX, it also does not support SGX in the new release?

For Lenovo, I have already posted a question in their forums but did not receive any reply, so far.

Hoang_N_Intel
Employee

I believe that statement is true. The new BIOS version will not add SGX support. The better option is to switch to M710t/s products with SGX support.

Zigdass
Beginner

This is really disappointing. I do not understand why OEMs do not provide necessary support for Intel CPU capabilities as powerful as SGX?

Zigdass
Beginner

Dear Hoang Nguyen,

I return back to tell you that according to a Lenovo BIOS engineer, BIOS does not support Intel SGX for my computer model and does not have a plan for the future. So, may be I can only test programs in simulation mode? May be this is not a reliable solution as it is not guaranteed to work in "real" mode.