Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

I can't find the SGX-related option in BIOS

ffan01
Beginner

Hi,

When I execute 'sudo /sbin/modprobe intel_sgx', the error "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'intel_sgx': No such device" occurs.

The mainboard is Super MicroX12DPL-I6 and the CPU is Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4314 CPU.

The result of cpuid -1 | grep -i sgx is: SGX:

Software Guard Extensions supported = true

SGX_LC: SGX launch config supported = true

Software Guard Extensions (SGX) capability (0x12/0):

SGX1 supported = false

SGX2 supported = false

SGX ENCLV E*VIRTCHILD, ESETCONTEXT = false

SGX ENCLS ETRACKC, ERDINFO, ELDBC, ELDUC = false

The dmesg shows that "SGX is not enabled in IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR".

I have tried to enable SGX in BIOS but I can't find the SGX-related option. Does anyone know how to enable SGX in BIOS? I have found a solution in Super Micro support that says "You will need to enable Total Memory Encryption, and then all of the SGX settings should pop up". I tried but it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JesusG_Intel

Hello ffan01,

It is possible that your processor supports SGX but the system manufacturer did not expose it in the BIOS. I recommend contacting Supermicro for guidance on SGX support on your specific platform. This article provides a few more details: Unable To Enable Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) in BIOS or via Software Applications.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
X99
New Contributor I

Is your BIOS up to date?

0 Kudos
ffan01
Beginner

Yes, the BIOS is up to date.

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

Hello ffan01,

It is possible that your processor supports SGX but the system manufacturer did not expose it in the BIOS. I recommend contacting Supermicro for guidance on SGX support on your specific platform. This article provides a few more details: Unable To Enable Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) in BIOS or via Software Applications.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

This thread has been marked as answered and Intel will no longer monitor this thread. If you want a response from Intel in a follow-up question, please open a new thread.

0 Kudos