Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Key Derivation - MK, SK, VK, SMK

Joe63
Beginner

Hey,

does anyone know what these multiple key in the RemoteAttestation SampelCode are used for?

What does SK, VK, MK and SMK mean? Does SK stand for Storage-Key or Signing-Key? What are the use, cases for all of that 4 key-types? In dont find online any detailed information!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi,

• SK (Signing Key/Symmetric Key)
  • MK (Master Key/Masking Key)
  • SMK (SIGMA protocol)
  • ISV can use the sgx_ra_init_ex API to provide a callback function to generate the remote attestation keys used in the SIGMA protocol (SMK) and returned by the API sgx_ra_get_keys (SK, MK, and VK). The decision to use a different KDF is a policy of the ISV, but it should be approved by the ISV’s security process. 
  • sgx_ ra_derive_secret_keys_t function takes the Diffie-Hellman shared secret as input to allow the ISV enclave to generate their own derived shared keys (SMK, SK, MK and VK).
  • Remote Attestation context was generated by sgx_ra_init, the returned SGX_RA_ KEY_MK, SGX_RA_KEY_SK or SGX_RA_VK is derived from the Diffie-Hellman shared secret elliptic curve field element between the service provider and the application enclave using the following Key Derivation Function (KDF):
    • KDK = AES-CMAC(key0, gab x-coordinate)
    • SGX_RA_KEY_VK = AES-CMAC(KDK, 0x01||’VK’||0x00||0x80||0x00)
    • SGX_RA_KEY_MK = AES-CMAC(KDK, 0x01||’MK’||0x00||0x80||0x00)
    • SGX_RA_KEY_SK = AES-CMAC(KDK, 0x01||’SK’||0x00||0x80||0x00)
  • The key0 used in the key extraction operation is 16 bytes of 0x00. The plain text used in the Key derivation calculation is the Diffie-Hellman shared secret elliptic curve field element in Little Endian format.
  • The plain text used in each key calculation includes:
    • a counter (0x01)
    • a label: the ASCII representation of one of the strings 'VK', 'MK' or 'SK' in Little Endian format
    • a bit length (0x80) 

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
Joe63
Beginner

Okay thanks, for that information.

I have another question. I saw the RemoteAttestation example. If i wanna communicate over the secure communication channel (established in the Remot-Attestation process), should i therefor use the SK-Key to sign the data? The background is: i wanna communicate information after the result-message (sent from SP to Enclave), back from the enclave to the SP. The Enclave has received a so called secret from the SP (which is in the result message). As i see it the message was only to demonstrate, that i can protect information with the sk-key right? So if i wanna send a message back to the SP afterward, there are no advantages to put the secret in that message, right? My message has only a payload field and a MAC-field (mac over payload with sk-key). i dont wanna encrypt my payload but i wanna ensure i is from the enclave, so am i processing right?

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi,

Please refer the link for more info about remote attestation https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-guard-extensions-remote-attestation-end-to-end-example

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
Adrian_D_
Beginner

Hi,

Selvaraj, Surenthar (Intel) wrote:

• SK (Signing Key/Symmetric Key)
  • MK (Master Key/Masking Key)
  • SMK (SIGMA protocol)

you explained what SK, MK and SMK stand for, but left out VK. What does VK mean?

0 Kudos
Anusha_K_Intel
Employee

Hi,

• VK: Verification key
  •  VK is derived  from the Diffie-Hellman shared secret elliptic curve field element between the service provider and  the application enclave.
  • VK  = AES-CMAC (0x00, gab  x coordinate|| 0x03)
0 Kudos