Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

SGX_ERROR_UNEXPECTED in sgx_ra_get_msg1

benjamin_f_2
Beginner

Hi, 

I'm getting the error SGX_ERROR_UNEXPECTED when calling sgx_ra_get_msg1. This occurs even when I run the sample remote attestation code provided with the SDK. I've updated to the latest SDK and PSW (version 1.6). My network connection seems fine as well. My OS is Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 

Ben

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rodolfo_S_
New Contributor III

Hi, Ben.

Did you also update the SGX driver? I was having the same issue, but it was resolved when I updated my driver.

Cheers,

Rodolfo

0 Kudos
benjamin_f_2
Beginner

Rodolfo S. wrote:

Hi, Ben.

Did you also update the SGX driver? I was having the same issue, but it was resolved when I updated my driver.

Cheers,

Rodolfo

I downloaded and installed the latest PSW (version 1.6), which should update the driver I believe? 

0 Kudos
PadmaPriya_M_Intel

Hi,

The Intel® SGX PSW installer does not uninstall the Intel SGX device driver after the uninstallation of the platform software. Subsequent installations of the Intel® SGX PSW update the driver to newer versions only (no downgrade is allowed).

To use Intel® SGX platform service, you need to install full set of Intel® Management Engine (ME) software components which includes Intel® Dynamic Application Loader(DAL) Host Interface Service. If you install Intel® ME driver only, Intel® SGX platform service is not available.

0 Kudos
benjamin_f_2
Beginner

Padma Priya M. (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

The Intel® SGX PSW installer does not uninstall the Intel SGX device driver after the uninstallation of the platform software. Subsequent installations of the Intel® SGX PSW update the driver to newer versions only (no downgrade is allowed).

To use Intel® SGX platform service, you need to install full set of Intel® Management Engine (ME) software components which includes Intel® Dynamic Application Loader(DAL) Host Interface Service. If you install Intel® ME driver only, Intel® SGX platform service is not available.

I saw this in the installation instructions, and it says that "subsequent installations of the Intel SGX PSW update the driver." I'm not trying to use the Intel SGX platform service, only the basic remote attestation API. It would be most helpful if you could point me to all the software components I need to download in order to get this to work without error. Thanks!

0 Kudos
PadmaPriya_M_Intel
Hi,
Prerequisites for remote attestation service: 
1) Client Machine
   - Windows 10 64 bit OS
   - Intel SGX SDK 1.6
   - PSW installer
   - Sky Lake Platform
2) Server machine (Intel SGX enabled platform is not mandatory)
   - Windows 10 64 bit OS
3) Intel Attestation server (IAS)
    IAS is used  for remote attestation service, that is provided by Intel
Please refer to this link to know more about Remote Attestation
0 Kudos