Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Cannot open source code when attaching to process (OK if I start program from de debugger)

de_Vicente__Angel

Hi,

I'm running IDB 13.0 in Ubuntu 12.10 and I found that if I start my code from the debugger I can open the source code without any troubles, but if I start the code (which waits in a loop) and then attach to it from inside the debugger, then I cannot see the list of the source files.

I open the code and the debugger from the same directory, so finding the files should not be a problem, but I don't know what could be happening. I include screenshots in case they can be of interest.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ángel de Vicente

0 Kudos
3 Replies
de_Vicente__Angel

I add a couple of new screenshots to show the behavious:

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, sorry for the delay, our notifications were down. I can confirm this problem for Ubuntu 12.04. Older Ubuntu versions seem to work well. I've escalated this problem to debugger engineering (DPD200240305). As soon as I hear back from them I'll let you know. Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, the solution is to set /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope to 0. Please be aware about potential security implications. See more information here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Roadmap/KernelHardening#ptrace_Protection Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos