Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to debug in Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran and C++ Windows* - Named-user Commercial (ESD)

Pranav_D_
Beginner

I have recently purchase "Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran and C++ Windows* - Named-user Commercial (ESD)".

While i am installing i can see that the package "Intel Debugger Extension 7.7-8.0" is included (Marked yellow in first picture).

But at the very next step it shows the warning related to debugging package( shown in the second picture).

Is it compulsory to install Microsoft visual studio before installing  "Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran and C++ Windows* " ? If not then how can i install this product correctly without any warnings? 

How to use debugger without Microsoft visual studio after installation?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

according to the screenshots you do neither have Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 2012 nor 2013 installed.

If you plan to only develop Fortran applications (no C/C++ mixed code) you don't need it because we include a rudimentary Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010 shell. This is what the second warning is telling you.

Regarding the Intel(R) Debugger Extension for Intel(R) MIC Architecture (first warning):
This one is only needed if you plan to develop applications for the Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor.
This extension is not related to the "Fortran Expression Evaluator" (FEE) that we also provide - we don't display it as a separate product/component but it's there. FEE is just a transparent extension of the Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger* to understand Fortran expressions.

As short answer to your question:
If you plan to develop only Fortran applications for standard Intel(R) Architecture and not for the Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor, then just continue with the installation.

However, if you think about mixed code (Fortran + C/C++) and/or development for the Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor, then you need to install Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 2012 or 2013 before.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos