Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

No Symbol xxx in current context for my fortran parameters?

Lowell_S_
Beginner

Hey,

I'm using the Intel Debugger for the first time, Version 13.0, on Redhat Linux.  I am debugging a fortran program and noticed that none of my parameter declarations can be evaluated.  If I mouse over, the popup doesn't appear and if I drag, for example, mxld into an Evaluation window, the Value field says, "No symbol "mxld" in current context.  The source code was compiled using ifort with the -g option (among others). Variables evaluate just fine.  How do I get my parameters to evaluate?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The IDB (Intel(R) Debugger) is not supported anymore. It was removed with compilers version 15.0 entirely, back in 2014. Instead, we provide GNU* GDB (gdb-ia) with compilers 14.0 and later. It does not come with a GUI. Fortunately it can be combined with Eclipse* IDE to provide a GUI if you want.

Reg. your question: Did you compile with optimization? Usually, if not compiled with -O0 -g (or solely -g, which disabled optimization), then variables/parameters could be optimized away and you won't be able to evaluate them.

I won't want to exclude an issue with IDB here. However, we won't be able to fix it because it has been discontinued. Hence, please try to debug with the latest gdb-ia (from the 16.0 compilers) and let me know whether you see the same issue there. It could be a debug information problem which we should take care of...

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Lowell_S_
Beginner

Thanks, George.  I was using -O0 -g along with many other options so I recompiled just now with only -O0 -g and have the same problem.

I had tried setting up my first fortran project in Eclipse a few weeks ago and while I could get the Hello Fortran program to work, When I imported one of my own fortran programs and tried to compile it, I could not.  It reported it could not find the f77 compiler but I wasn't trying to use the f77 compiler.  I was trying to use ifort, just like with my Hello Fortran program.  Couldn't figure out how to fix that so ditched Eclipse and started using the Intel Debugger.  Based on what your saying about support, I guess I'll have to go back and try to make Eclipse work.

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

so, it looks like a problem related to debug information. It might be either the compiler not emitting the right one or the debugger (i.e. IDB) not understanding it correctly.

If both the latest gdb-ia and Fortran compiler don't work, we need to escalate this to engineering.

You don't need to use Eclipse just to test this. Simply launch gdb-ia on the command line and debug to the subroutine. If evaluation does not work either (and the latest compiler is been used), I'd like to take a closer look here.

If you want to use Eclipse* IDE with the Intel(R) Fortran Compiler, use the Photran (sic!) add-in. It supports the Intel(R) Fortran Compiler. The add-in is here:
http://www.eclipse.org/photran/

For the debugger, you can replace "gdb" by "gdb-ia" in Eclipse* IDE to use our version of GNU* GDB. In all cases, only launch Eclipse* IDE in an environment where you've sourced the compilervars script.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Lowell_S_
Beginner

Thanks, Georg.

I have never used a command line debugger so don't know how and don't have time to learn.  I'm kind of surprised there are still command line debuggers out there.  GUI debuggers seem to be intuitively easier to use and have been around a long time.  Command line debuggers must have some value I'm not aware of. 

Unfortunately, I don't have time to figure out why Eclipse isn't compiling my programs either.  The Eclipse environment is supposedly set up with photran already and like I indicated, my Hello Fortran program compiled and ran just fine.  For now, until I can find the time, I need to get back on schedule and will have to compile at the command line using 'make' and make do with the Intel Debugger.  I can work around the Parameter's issue.  If I can get caught up on my schedule, I will take another look at this.  In the long term, I will need to get Eclipse working.

0 Kudos