Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

OpenMP debugger for intel2016@Windows

Shuo_Y_
Beginner

Dear all,

I am using Intel parallel XE on Win10. However I can not find the "intel parallel debugger extension" under the "Debug" button.

How can I enable this item?

Thanks so much!

Best..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

the feature called "Parallel Debug Extensions" was deprecated in Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2013 already. All newer versions did not have it anymore.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Shuo_Y_
Beginner

Thanks. I wonder is there something new to replace the old "Parallel Debug Extensions"? I just want to try the functions about debugger the OpenMP codes. 

Do you know how to do this within the 2016 version  Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

since Microsoft Visual Studio* is not keeping pace with OpenMP* evolution there are only very few users of it. Even though we provide OpenMP* 4.0 support with our recent compilers, it was decided some years ago to no continue debug support due to lack of users.

However, if we get enough requests to bring it back, we might consider that.

There is no way to use the extension from an older version. It would be outdated too - OpenMP* 3.1 vs. 4.0.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Shuo_Y_
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I also works on Linux. Could you tell me how to debug the openmp codes using Intel XE as well? I prefer GUI based tools. 

Best,

Shuo

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

no GUI support on Linux* other than what Eclipse* IDE already offers. I'm not aware of any OpenMP* extensions for debugging there.

We only provide a command line GDB (gdb-ia) as part of the compilers. It supports OpenMP* 4.0. But that's not coming with a fancy GUI.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
j0e
New Contributor I

Well this is unfortunate.  At least I came across this thread relatively quick and didn't waste too much time trying to find the debugger extension.

If you are talking votes, I will add my request to have the parallel debugger added back :)

I was going to use co-arrays, but even a simple parallel do seems to require some investment in time to figure out (unless I'm missing something), so I just used OpenMP instead.

Thanks for the info Georg

-joe

0 Kudos