Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

XDP to 10Pin JTAG Adapter Pins

JBlac9
Novice

Does this adapter ( XDP to 10Pin JTAG Adapter Pins https://designintools.intel.com/product_p/itpxdp10pinjtagquark.htm) makes available the PRDY# and PREQ# pins that are necessary for debugging the Quark processor in reset break mode?

Since this adapter converts the ITP-XDP3 connector to the standard 10-pin ARM JTAG connector, these pins may not be available at the 10-pin side, but are they available for connection somewhere on the board?

I am asking this question because I know that the Intel Galileo board makes available these pins (PRDY_B and PREQ_B) as taps right at the bottom side of the board on the bottom of the processor rather than pins on any of the board's connectors. My intention is to get these pins connected to the ITP-XDP3 by soldering two wires from these pins on the Galileo to the   XDP to 10Pin JTAG Adapter Pins adapter. In this way, I think it would be possible to use the ITP-XDP3 to debug the Quark on the Galileo.

Is any of this possible?

For the moment I am using OpenOCD on Intel system Studio 2015 Beta (XDB) with the Olimex JTAG probe, but I need to do debugging from reset and using the ITP-XDP3 may be the best way to go, but I would like to have more information before committing to such a purchase. Or, I may decide to stay the course depending on the feedback I may get here.

thank you beforehand for any help or information you may be able to provide me.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Paul_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Juan,

I am unfortunately unable to say if what you are planning will work. Electrically it could, but we cannot say if the software will work as you expect.

A colleague suggested a completely untested solution to wire the Srst (system reset) on the 10 pin JTAG connector to the reset button and use OpenOCD to "push" the reset button. As I wrote this is untested and  if you try this it will be  on your own risk.

I am sorry that we cannot provide any help here.

0 Kudos
JBlac9
Novice

Paul

I am not trying to use the Olimex adapter + OpenOCD to do this. I am trying to figure out if the ITP-XDP3  probe + the Intel ITP software will be able to do this on the Galileo by accessing, through the XDP to 10Pin JTAG Adapter (https://designintools.intel.com/product_p/itpxdp10pinjtagquark.htm) the PRDY and PREQ pins availeble as taps on the Galileo board. I am asking these questions because I want to make sure that what I want to do will work before committing to any expensive purchase.

OpenOCD is limited for now and it doesn't include access to the CLTAPC register on the Quark; this is the real limitation of the Olimex JTAG probe + OpenOCD.

Do you think that ITP-XDP3  probe + the Intel ITP software will work on the Galileo by using the XDP to 10Pin JTAG Adapter in the way I suggest?

Thank you beforehand. 

0 Kudos