Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

x64 Debugging--cannot view variable values

davetaflin
Beginner

I am using Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 6 for Windows, Version 2013.1.6.241, with Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 7. I created a default "Hello World" console application and added a single local variable, integer i. The Win32 Debug build allows me to step through with the debugger and view the value of i where I added it in the Watch 1 window. So far, so good. I then used the Configuration Manager to add builds for x64, copying settings from Win32. When I now build and debug the x64 Debug configuration, I cannot view the value of i. Instead, the value is listed as "Undefined address," and the Type is blank. How can I view variable values when debugging an x64 Debug build?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jirina
New Contributor I

I have a similar problem. If I debug the 32-bit version of my application, placing a breakpoint in the main program works well, but doing the same in the 64-bit version causes that a window titled "No Source Available" is displayed and I cannot use the Watch window. I know that the breakpoint is hit and if I place another breakpoint inside the subroutine that is called from the main program from the location of the breakpoint, this breakpoint inside the subroutine works well and so does the Watch window.

0 Kudos
davetaflin
Beginner

I solved the problem by running the latest stand-alone installer, which I downloaded from Intel's Registration Center on their website. I had previously updated through Intel Software Manager (an app installed on my machine with the product). Why did that fix the problem? Who knows...

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

can you make sure that debug information is turned (/debug:full) and optimizations are off (/Od)?
If optimizations are turned on, then the compiler can optimize away variables or do other code transformations that make it very hard to debug. Without debug information the variables cannot be resolved either.

If the above options are set, maybe other options interfere (e.g. /check:). In that case, please narrow down options and share that information with us.

Thank you & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I

I quickly checked that I am using /debug:full and /Od in my 64-bit configuration. I am going to try playing with all of the /check: options to see whether any of them is interfering.

I hope the enabled traceback information (/traceback) is OK here.

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

you can also copy and paste the full option set ("Command Line/All Options:" in the properties). I've got a simple hello world which works in x64/Debug configuration with the following minimal (default) options:
/nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"x64\Debug\\" /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc120.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos