Intel® System Studio
Ask questions and share information with other users of the Intel® System Studio.
Announcements
Intel® System Studio components are now transitioned to several Intel® oneAPI toolkits and can be found under Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit and Intel oneAPI IoT Toolkit. Use the respective forums for questions related to these components. Getting Started questions can be asked in the Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation forum. If you have Priority Support you can submit your question in the Online Service Center.

Build for Atom requires AVX function?

Mark_L_5
Beginner

I'm attempting to build a dynamic library as part of an application that runs on an Atom E3845 under a custom OpenEmbedded-based Linux. It's failing to load because a symbol is missing:

"Failed to load library 'xyz.so': /var/volatile/compilers_and_libraries_2016.2.181/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin/libirng.so: undefined symbol: __intel_avx_rep_memcpy"

The library uses IPP and possibly TBB (it's not my code), and it's being linked against a set of Intel libraries. This is the final link command, with various proprietary terms removed:

icpc -gnu-prefix=x86_64-angstrom-linux- -std=c++11 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE  -m64 -mtune=atom -xATOM_SSE4.2 --sysroot=/home/usr/local/angstrom-toolchain/REL_30938_1_0/angstrom-x86_64/x86_64-angstrom-linux    -shared xyz.o -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--no-allow-shlib-undefined -llib1 -llib2 -llib3 <many more libs> -lz -lm -lcse -ldl -ltcl8.5 -ltiff -lexpat -lgmp -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system -lboost_date_time -lboost_iostreams -lboost_regex -ljpeg -lippcv -lippi -lipps -lippcore -ltbb -lippcc -lippi90lgc -lippcv90lgc -lirc -L/<some dir>/build/lib -L/<some dir>/intel/ipp_legacy/ipp90legacy_lin/linux/lib/intel64 -o xyz.so

In order to try to make sure I understand all of the dependencies, I've included '-Wl,--no-undefined' and '-Wl,--no-allow-shlib-undefined'. I'm building on a separate Linux machine, but the link succeeds and I get xyz.so.

When the application attempts to load it, I get the error shown above.

I believe the Atom doesn't have AVX instructions, and I don't know whether the error is because I haven't got the options correct for the Atom target (-mtune=atom -xATOM_SSE4.2), or whether it's just that I'm missing a library.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Mark,

Can you try to link the libirng.so as well and check once? Because i see the error coming from that library. You can link using "-lirng" and please do let me know the results.

Regards,
Sukruth H V

Mark_L_5
Beginner

Hi Sukruth, I had tried adding -lirng before and forgot to mention it. It didn't make any difference, sadly.

Mark_L_5
Beginner

I found that the symbol __intel_avx_rep_memcpy is provided by two Intel libraries: libmpx.so and libirc.so. I added -lirc to the link list and tried to run the application as before, but got the same "undefined symbol: __intel_avx_rep_memcpy". libirc.so is present on the target, and in the same directory as other libraries that are found.

So I tried adding -lmpx to the link list instead. It has dependencies on libchkp.so, so I had to add that as well. The link fails:

<path>/libmpx.so: undefined reference to `__cpuid_count'
<path>/libmpx.so: undefined reference to `__get_cpuid_max'

__cpuid_count appears to be a macro usually defined in GCC's cpuid.h, so I don't understand why this appears as an undefined reference at the link stage. I presume it must exist as a function somewhere, too - I just can't find where.

I'd appreciate an comments on whether my processor-related options are correct, and/or how I might resolve the undefined references.

Thanks.