Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Inspector - crashing when trying to use

Maybe I am missing something very obvious.  I have an evaluation copy of Intel® System Studio 2016 that​ that I am trying to put through it's paces.  The environment is Windows 10 Professional - 64Bit in a virtual environment (VMWare 12.5)  The s/w seems to install fine.  But when I try to run Intel Inspector on a windows binary, I get "Intel Inspector experienced an unexpected error." and the tool goes into it's crash data collection phase.

In the collection log window I have three entries - one of these says "This operating system is not supported.  Check release notes."  Well, I have, and it says that Windows 10 support was added.

What am I missing?

Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Hi,

I am investigating the issue. I see in the 2016 version of Release notes of Intel(R) Inspector for systems for the set of supported Windows* OS and here are the list of supported OS : -

Supported Microsoft* operating systems (embedded editions not supported): -

Microsoft Windows 7* SP1 o Microsoft Windows Server* 2008 SP2 and 2008 R2 SP1 o Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008 and 2008 R2 o Microsoft Windows 8* operating system o Microsoft Windows 8.1* operating system o Microsoft Windows Server* 2012 

I don't see the Windows* 10 OS being mentioned as supported/validated OS yet in the release notes.

You can find the release notes posted online here :- https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/86/1e/Release_Notes_Inspector_Windows.pdf

However i would request you to try once with command line and see if this can work or if it has the same issue as well.

//Command line

1. Set up the inspector environment (In the command line, run the below mentioned batch file)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector 2016 for Systems\inspxe-vars.bat"

2. Run the Intel(R) Inspector for systems command line : -

inspxe-cl -collect mi2 -- <application.exe> <parameters (if any)

ex : - inspxe-cl -collect mi2 -- C:\Users\shv\Desktop\tachyon_insp_xe\tachyon_insp_xe\vc10\find_and_fix_memory_errors_Win32\Debug\find_and_fix_memory_errors.exe C:\Users\shv\Desktop\tachyon_insp_xe\tachyon_insp_xe\dat\simpleballs.dat

This would create the result file in the present directory, which can be opened from the Inspector GUI. Please do let me know if you need any further help.

In this context i would like to know if you have any specific requirements for using Windows* 10? If yes, please do let me know so that i can notify you as soon as Windows* 10 support is available.

You also mentioned that the release notes mentioned that Windows* 10 support was added, could you please point me to the link which mentions this?

Regards,
Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'll try in the morning.  But why would it ever let me install?

I'll see if I can find the reference to windows 10.  Doesn't seem to be much used.

0 Kudos