cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bessie_L_
Beginner

Intel System Debugger 2016: ERROR E-2201

Hello,

I am trying to use Intel System Debugger 2016 (x64) Version 16.0.84641 along with an SVT Closed Chassis Adapter to debug a Skylake system over USB3.

To set things up, i do:

1. File --> Connect
  2. Hardware Probe: DCI-OOB (SVT Closed Chassisi Adapter)
  3. Target Platform: 6th Gen Intel Core Processor (Skylake)
  4. Connect

In the console, I see "INFO: Initializing probe connection, this will take a moment."  

A few minutes pass, and eventually I get this error: "ERROR: E-2201: The DAL interface library was loaded but an error occurred while connecting, please ensure your DAL libraries are configured properly and/or restart the MasterFrame service."

While this was happening, I noticed an increasing number of MasterFrame.HoseApplication.exe processes spawning in task manager.  I had around 10 running when the error appeared.

Can anyone help shed some light on why I might be having this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JongIl_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Even after you restart your host machine, if there are still running-multiple-masterframe in the Windows task manger, something wrong in Intel System Debugger and DAL installed. In that case, please remove and re-install it.

Thanks,

Jeff Park 

Bessie_L_
Beginner

Jeff, thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I have tried this with no success.  Can you provide some insight into what exactly that error means?

Thanks!

JongIl_P_Intel
Employee

I see, then next step is to check the DCI connection.

This is the whole componet in connection between host and target:

Host [debugger - DAL(masterframe) -USB]--- SVT CCA --- [USB -DCI -JTAG-CPU] SKL target

Let me give you some check list of DCI connection:

1) BIOS settings:

BIOS -> Intel Advanced Menu
CPU Configuration
Debug Interface -> ‘Enabled’
Direct Connect Interface -> ‘Enabled’

2) checking connection via python console:

goto c:\Intel\DAL -> Run PythonConsole.cmd

Checking if all the LED in CCA are green lights (If it is blinking then wait till it stops - blinking means the CCA FW update.)

If you can see the '>>?' prompt then input the commands to test below:

1.  itp.devicelist  ( meaning: Lists all the JTAG devices of the system under debug.)
2.  itp.halt()  (CPU enters probemode and saves states.)
3.  itp.go()  ( CPU exits probemode and restores states.)

If everyting goes well? then you are ready to run debugger.

Please close the Python console and check if the Masterframe are closed by Windows Task Manager, please kill it, if alive. (Sometimes it is not killed automatically. Once you run System Debugger, new Masterframe will run and start communicate with Debugger instead of python console.)

And then Run the System Debugger and do connect.

Thanks, Jeff Park

LARRY_O_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm using the DCI on KBL CRB and get a Error E-2201: Target has no active threads, this operation is not permitted. In the debugger console view the INFO states the debugger has successfully Initialized a JTAG connection to the target but no processor were detected. I have followed the BIOS setup recommended in this thread before attempting to connect. The target has a console and boots to the EFI shell.

The debugger console recommends that I read the DCI getting started guide.Where is this guide located? And is KBL supported?

Larry

Can INTEL or anyone confirm the processor SKU please ? I want to know if Closed Chassis Debugging is supported for any 6th/7th gen core processor SKUs. or is it limited to U series etc?

Regards,

Sreekanth