Intel® System Studio
Share information with other developers using Intel® System Studio.

Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4 setup hangs forever

EJonk
Beginner

While installing Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4, I have a hard time believing it is installing succesfully. It has been hung on step '61/63: Visual Studio 2017 and 1029 integration' for over 10 minutes. I am still seeing it spawn processes such as VSIXInstaller, devenv, VSFinalizer, conhost and it is using some CPU in spikes of a few seconds, but I believe it is hung. Maybe it is just intermittently retrying? Now while I am looking around on my computer, some websites and writing this for another 10 minutes, it suddenly decides to finish blazingly fast.

Is it just stealing my time because I downloaded this for free or is this an installer bug?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EJonk
Beginner

Some time yeah sure I agree. But 20 minutes is completely silly.

If only for the complete lack of any progress on most days I would give up and kill the process. And most people would if they don't check Task Manager and find these processes intermittently spawning.

Seriously, the whole process is archaic. Please make this a simple VSIX which installs from the marketplace. I already had an Intel account but the whole process - merely just to find what I need and just get the bits, it is waaaay too involved, let alone you get stuck with the error 'Cannot start Visual Studio while setup is running' for another 20 minutes of non-productivity.

Kind of but to take the point home: its just a compiler.

0 Kudos
EJonk
Beginner

Sure, if you can tell me where they are - and they are still present. I haven't knowingly deleted such files, although Windows might have done that automatically.

0 Kudos
EJonk
Beginner

If %TEMP% is resolved from the logged-in users context then it is C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp and it is swamped with various setup logs but none of them dates back to the installation date of 8 oct and no directory named Intel exists.

If it is resolved from a SYSTEM context pretty much the same is true for C:\WINDOWS\Temp.

Sorry.

0 Kudos