Intel® System Studio
Share information with other developers using Intel® System Studio.

Intel System Studio and i7-core development kit with XDP port

jeonghyun_b_
Beginner

Hello!

My name is Jeonghyun Baek, a software engineer in south korea.

I’m considering to buy below three products from intel in order to debug system software using JTAG interface 
but I’m worried that they are not compatible from each other and not working correctly.

=========================================================================================
-  Intel System Studio Including JTAG Debugger
-  ITP-XDP 3BR Kit
-  "Development Kit: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700EQ processor with Mobile Intel® QM87 Express Chipset " 
           or

"Development Kit: Intel® Core™ i5-3610ME processor (PGA) and Mobile Intel® QM77 Express Chipse"

=========================================================================================

Here, i have two questions in reference to intel system studio.

Q1.  Are they(above three products) compatible and work correctly? 
    if not, could you recommend the development kit which has a i7-core and work with JTAG debugger of Intel System Studio.

Q2. "Development Kit: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700EQ processor with Mobile Intel® QM87 Express Chipset" is shown in expired offerings. 
       is there way to buy the product which is in expired offerings? 

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

We no longer have the i7-4700EQ and will not be getting any more inventory in the Intel Evaluation Platforms program on the Embedded Design Center (Intel EDC).

However, there are some Portwell offerings located here: http://iotsolutionsalliance.intel.com/solutions-directory/processors_list/i7-4700eq?search=development%20kit&sort_by=created&sort_order=DESC&items_per_page=15&sort=created%7CDESC.

One of these development kits may be helpful to you.  LynnZ

0 Kudos
Rob_Mueller-Albrecht

Dear customer,

Intel® System Studio in all its components and thus also the Intel® JTAG Debugger 2014 or Intel® System Debugger 2015 included do support platforms based on the 4th generation Intel® Core™ Processor architecture, thus as the current Intel® Core™ i5 and i7 platforms.

As you mention in your question, this support for system software debug would use the onboard eXtended Debug Port (XDP) and the Intel® ITP-XDP 3BR probe.

An additional requirement is that the chosen platform has such an XDP port and that the BIOS on the reference platform is a BIOS with JTAG enabled. By default most Intel reference debug BIOS images allow JTYAG, whereas most release reference BIOS versions don’t.

According to the information we received the reference platform you inquired about and the alternative platform suggested in this thread do not have the XDP port populated, thus they cannot be used for JTAG system software debug without modification.

Thanks, Rob  

0 Kudos
SeungYoung_K_Intel

Hi Jeonghyun Baek,

This is Sean Kim who is supporting Intel System Studio in Intel Korea, as Robert mentioned above: Intel JTAG debugger support  the 4th generation Intel® Core™ Processor architecture with JTAG enabled BIOS. Hope those answer would stisfy your questions. And, if you still more question or detail infomation about Intel System Studio, please send email to me with following email: sean.y.kim@intel.com

0 Kudos
jeonghyun_b_
Beginner

Dear. robert-mueller-albecht and SEUNG YOUNG K.

Thank you for the answers.

By the way, I'm little bit confused for your comments.

What I understand is that  "Development Kit: Intel® Core™ i5-3610ME processor (PGA) and Mobile Intel® QM77 Express Chipse" has a BIOS with J-tag disabled. right?"

If so, can I turn on BIOS j-tag option on BIOS configuration screen? 

If i can't, isn't there any way to get a i5 or i7-core development kit with XDP port and J-tag enabled BIOS in south korea?

0 Kudos