Intel® System Studio
Share information with other developers using Intel® System Studio.

Is the up to date ISSM able to support UART download feature as the alternative of JTAG download?

Siyu_D_Intel
Employee

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Richard_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Can you provide more information about your request?  Which platform are you targeting?  For the D2000 and C1000 ISSM supports flashing through the USB connection via the FTDI chip on the dev boards.  We also provide scripts for using it with Olimex and Flyswatter adapters in the package at <ISSM_ROOT>\tools\debugger\openocd\scripts.

Thank you,
Richard 

0 Kudos
Sambaran_G_
Beginner

I think he means to be able to update the firmware via the UART instead of Jtag. The feature present via the new Device Management feature of the BootRoom

0 Kudos
Siyu_D_Intel
Employee

Sambaran, yes that's what I referred to. Is the BootRoom with this feature or not? Do you kown if the ISSM supports this download way?

0 Kudos
Sambaran_G_
Beginner

I have not tried it sorry. You can download the DM supported BootRom and flash it manually onto the board but I dont think ISSM will support flashing firmwares via UART currently as I did not find any such option

0 Kudos
Richard_A_Intel
Employee

That is correct, this feature is not currently supported in the tools.  Can you provide some information on why that feature would be preferred over the existing methods?  I can submit a feature request to look at adding this.

Thank you,

Richard 

0 Kudos
Siyu_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Richarde

Thanks for you asking. Downloading with UART is more cost effective and less compexity in MP board design where UART is only needed for SW upgrading/downloading. In CRB board, we have FT232HL to access to JTAG through USB. In real product, customer don't want FT232HL.

thanks

-A 

0 Kudos
Shahmi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Siyu,

I just saw this discussion and hopefully I'm not too late giving suggestion. There's a way to flash firmware using UART and it is actually documented in this User Guide in the last chapter. 

Regards,

Shahmi

0 Kudos
Siyu_D_Intel
Employee

Nice document, will recommand to customerts. Thanks Shahmi and all above.

0 Kudos