Intel® System Studio
Share information with other developers using Intel® System Studio.

wha tha? Trying to install software for d2000 microcontroller

Andrew_L_
Beginner

I am no idiot but this has to be one of the most frustrating microcontrollers i have had the displeasure of not working with. I admit i approach this from an arduino, rasp pi, linux, familiarity although thought running the installer for windows on windows 10 would get me up and running sooner than later.

ARRRRGH not the case. Registration aside it continues to be a thorn. Driver issues.. played around for 30min.. thought back to warning on install about it not being an intel chip (ok i am running on an amd laptop which obeys all the commands of the x86 architecture for which this board is intended) could they be that petty about higher architecture that my quark which i bought on a whim to learn x86 asm on the side refuse to work on my machine because it is amd64? I dont want to bang my head when things work elsewhere so i'm wondering whether to resell this intelligent looking item and forget about it or try to learn more.. Next step before throwing away install on linux, here,s A tenative crossed fingers......

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Andrew_L_
Beginner

for those that care if i plug this d2000 device into my laptop in the usb3.0 port i get a complete failure and my system reboots. Baaahh Baaah bad practice

0 Kudos
MBole3
Beginner

I'm about to try out my eval kit once it arrives today. I got a D2000 and a C1000 kit coming.

I'm surprised that the dev tools would do a CPU check to see what CPU is in use on the dev environment itself. But I can see someone at intel (they used to not capitalize) would want them to do that. I've used AMDs before, but my current laptop and desktop have core i7's in them so I won't see what they do on mine.

I also got these eval kits because I want to develop these MCUs using assembly language. But the dev tools from what I see so far likes C.

I used to use x86 assembly a lot in the early 90s. So I'll see how well I can get these things going in assembly. I hope Intel supports that more. I know setting up these will be harder since they have the protected mode, segmentation, etc. I used to use Microchip MCUs in assembly and they don't have those set up requirements, but the Quarks should run circles around those and with 32 bits, and nice bit manipulation instructions they should be well worth the extra work.

If the machine reboots when you plug something into the USB 3 port, I wouldn't think it would be the fault of what was plugged in. The machine (Windows?) should be able to protect and defend against anything plugged into it's USB port without croaking. 

Keep us informed. I think mine will be delivered today.

0 Kudos
Richard_A_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your feedback, there seems to be some confusion here so let's see if I can help clear things up.  For the host system you need a 64bit system as several of the components we provide (such as Java) are the 64 bit versions.  It doesn't matter if your host is Intel or AMD as long an it is a 64bit system.  

As for the USB3 connection makes your system reboot, never heard of that before, but it does sound like a serious issue you may want to look into.  The D2000 and C1000 board come with USB2 connection, but have been tested and shown to work with USB3 cables.  You may want to try connecting it to a different port or another system to see if you experience the same behavior.

For the driver issues, we recommend following the Getting Started Guide to ensure you install the driver: https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/d2000/get-started.  If you have already installed the tools and didn't follow that guide then you can install the driver manually by plugging in your board and running the script we provided at this location:  <install_dir>\tools\debugger\driver\install.bat

Thank you,

Richard    

0 Kudos