Intel Unite® App
Gain crucial understandings of the Intel Unite® App
Announcements
This product has been discontinued. This board is currently read only and no longer accepting new posts. Learn more
459 Discussions

Couple of question about Unite

TGend
Novice

Hi,

I have a couple of question about Unite

1: Do you plan on supporting this for a long time or is it going to be left aside and die like WIDI?

2: Why, on standalone, Unite wont allow connections from different vlan? I mean we have Vlans for wifi for vpn for sites but we are stuck on one vlan with this option? I really dont understand the reason behind that... Can you please explain the reason? I can ping it, I can download the client from it but it wont let me connect saying the HUB cannot be found... it doesnt make any sense.

3: Why are you forcing SQL and wont let me install the Entreprise mode on SQL express... its not like you need a big database with multiple users and so on... I could only make this work using the trial version of SQL... so, why not SQL Express??

I was planning on installing Unite on all my projectors on my 4 sites but the Vlan thing on standalone and the SQL on Entreprise are blocking me... I need your help to enlight me

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello RaidX,

Please let me review your questions, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TGend
Novice
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113696 RaidX, thank you for your patience.

I will answer questions in the same order you posted them;

1: Do you plan on supporting this for a long time or is it going to be left aside and die like WIDI?

I would like to let you know that we do not comment on this type of subjects. What I can let you know is that Intel® Unite™ is a new technology that customers are adopting and is designed to long last.

2: Why, on standalone, Unite wont allow connections from different vlan? I mean we have Vlans for wifi for vpn for sites but we are stuck on one vlan with this option? I really dont understand the reason behind that... Can you please explain the reason? I can ping it, I can download the client from it but it wont let me connect saying the HUB cannot be found... it doesnt make any sense.

Standalone uses UTP as a communication protocol, multiple vlans will mess with the communication.

3: Why are you forcing SQL and wont let me install the Entreprise mode on SQL express... its not like you need a big database with multiple users and so on... I could only make this work using the trial version of SQL... so, why not SQL Express??

This is because currently only MS SQL is supported.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TGend
Novice

Thank you for answering... but It doesnt explain why SQL express is not supported and I dont see the reasoning behind this decision.

About the standalone version of Unite... I dont think this is the right path to take... multiple Vlan is standard these days and UPD works across vlan btw.

Oh well... Unite is a good idea but lack in some aspect...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113696 RaidX, please let me get more information for you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113696 RaidX, thank you for your comments, we really value your feedback.

I can share with you know that MS SQL doesn't do something particularly different from other SQL options, and we think it is a good feature request. Regarding your second comment, this makes sense too, that's why small business improves the connection method so it is already addressed for 3.1. One more thing for you to know is that 3.1 is coming and we will let them know when it is available.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos