Intel Unite® App
Gain crucial understandings of the Intel Unite® App
Announcements
This product has been discontinued. This board is currently read only and no longer accepting new posts. Learn more
459 Discussions

Guest Access Plugin and 802.1n devices

FFern4
Novice

Hi

When using the Guest Access Plugin, there are some devices that are not able to see the hotspot created by the Intel Unite hub.

After doing some troubleshooting, I have noticed that the WiFi hotspot created by the hub is working just with 802.1ac. So, old devices (with 802.1n technology but no 802.1ac), cannot connect to the hotspot. I believe this is the problem

I think this is more a Windows 10 issue than a plugin issue, but anyway, does anyone knows if it possible configure Windows 10 in order that the hotspot uses also the standard 802.1n and not only 802.1ac?

Regards and thanks in advance

Fernando

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Fernando_Fernández,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, let me help you on this matter.

I need to try to get information about this issue and I will update this thread as news become available, in the meantime, I would like to confirm a what is the Intel Unite® version you are running on this computer and if your operating system has been fully updated.

Please let me know your findings. Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
FFern4
Novice

Hi Allan

I have tested Intel Unite versión 3.2.82.42 and 3.1.41.18. The behaviour is the same.

The Windows versión in the hub is Windows 10 Pro, 1703 and 1709. I have tested both. No changes

The situation is the same if the hotspot is using 2.4 or 5GHz band

You can see below as the hotspot created by the Guest Access plugin is just 802.11ac.

Regards and thanks for your support

Fernando

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Fernando_Fernández,

Thank you for taking the time and show this information.

I understand the Guest devices connects at 802.1ac technology and the connection will depend on the type of wireless devices you are trying to connect.

Do you know the model number of the wireless device you are trying to connect?

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
FFern4
Novice

Hi Allan

One device, for example, is a Samsung S3. It just works with 802.11n.

The question has been raised by a customer. They are testing the solution, and they told me that some devices were not able to connect through the guest Access hotspot. This issue is important for them, so I would need to find a workaround to fix it.

Regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Fernando_Fernández,

Thank you for the information. I am forwarding this information to the appropriate department. I will come back as soon as I get more details about it.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
FFern4
Novice

Hi Allan

I have found out a way to force the hotspot created by the Guest Access Plugin to use 802.11n and the 2,4GHz band.

I am using an HP Slice with AC-8260 WiFi adapter. I had to change the configuration of 2 parameters in the adapter:

• HT Mode: Change it to HT mode. Default value is VHT mode

• Wireless Mode: change it to 802.11b/g. Default value is 802.11a/b/g

In this way, old devices can connect to the hotspot created by the Guest Access Pligin

Regards

Fernando

0 Kudos