Intel Unite® App
Gain crucial understandings of the Intel Unite® App
Announcements
This product has been discontinued. This board is currently read only and no longer accepting new posts. Learn more
459 Discussions

Intel Unite 4.0 Mac Client

BNorw
Beginner

I'm having issues with the mac client. When I launch the client it opens in the dock, but no window ever appears, if I click on anything in the menu bar, it crashes immediately.

I've attempted to re-install, I've tried deleting every component (by going to /Library) related.

I haven't been able to find where (or if) the logging is located, and the enable logging option I'm used to is within the menu I can't access.

Anyone else experiencing the crashing of the mac client? Or Any idea where I can look for more logs?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. In order to troubleshoot this issue, please check the following information: A. Client Requirements: Mac OS* 10.12, 10.13, or 10.14. B. Please follow the instructions contained on the section 6.3 Install Mac OS Client (Deployment Guide for the Intel Unite® app) and let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, We would like to review your system configuration. If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, If you have any further questions, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

Apologies I was doing some further testing before getting back,

I'm currently running on 10.13.6 High Siera, I've tested from two separate systems with the same results. I've installed the client based on the guide, the App store does not currently have 4.0 available only 3.2, and the other method (CommandLine or Manual) results in the behavior I've described. Checking the Mac Console during launch results in these errors, and if I interact with the menu, or wait, it crashes. I'm not clear if there are logs being saved elsewhere, and I can't get it to run in debug mode to get the logs from the client itself. I've attached a few screenshots for reference.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, The issue described at the beginning could happen if Intel Unite® 3.x was not removed completely before installing 4.x on the Mac OS device. 1. Did you install 4.x on the Mac OS device while Intel Unite® 3.x was still running? 2. Also, what type of certificate are you using? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

Wanner,

1. I did not, I've also tried wiping the new version completely and re-installing with the same result. The second machine I installed it on did not have the older version to begin with.
  2. We are using a self signed cert, with the DNS TXT record method. The certificate is added to the certificate store on both machines and the certificate authority is trusted, we use the same certificate authority on those machines for other certs and they are working.

If you have detailed instructions on how to remove the older version I'd be happy to test and get back to you.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, Thank you for your response. You may follow these steps to remove Intel Unite® from the client device: 1. Within the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities), enter the following command: defaults delete com.intel.Intel-Unite 2. From the Finder, delete the ~/Library/Preferences/com.intel.Intel-Unite.plist file, and then restart the system. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

I rebooted, removed the application from the applications folder, then followed your instructions (including rebooting after), and still the same result. I then repeated the whole process over to ensure consistency, and still the same result.

The application shows in the dock for a few seconds, sometimes 30, and closed shortly after without ever opening a window.

Throwing this out there as well, the software is working flawlessly in the same environment with my windows computers, which leads me to believe that the cert, dns txt, and server are all setup properly.

Please let me know what you'd like to try next.

0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

Wanner,

Just following up, let me know what you'd like me to try next. I have a few items that are waiting on the upgrade to the new version so I'm eager for a fix.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, We would like to do further research about this Intel Unite® issue. Please provide the following information: *Problem details Problem description: Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screenshots): Attempted workaround (settings changes, etc.): Environment (office, enterprise, school, hospital, factory, home): *HUB/Client computer details HUB manufacturer(s): HUB model(s) and SKU: Client model(s): Intel Unite® Client version: Intel Unite® HUB version: Also, attach a System report. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

Wanner,

Problem Details

Problem description: As I've described in the posts above, when launching the Intel Unite 4.0 Client install from MacOS 12.13.6 it crashes, the application appears to open in the dock, however it disappears after around 30 seconds. Interacting with the application in any way causes it to crash sooner.

Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always):  Always, the 4.0 version of the client has never launched on the MacOS

Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screenshots): Launch the 4.0 version of the application from MacOS 10.13.6 (keep in mind I've tried this from two separate MacBook's, one had the previous version of the application, the second did not)

Attempted workaround (settings changes, etc.): I've attempted to delete & reinstall the product on both workstations, multiple times. I have tried removing each com entry in /Libirary and /User/Library/. I have also tried following previous instructions to "1. Within the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities), enter the following command: defaults delete com.intel.Intel-Unite" and "2. From the Finder, delete the ~/Library/Preferences/com.intel.Intel-Unite.plist file, and then restart the system.". I followed those instructions twice on both machines, rebooting at each step. All of my testing has resulted in the same experience

Environment (office, enterprise, school, hospital, factory, home): Enterprise Environment, total of around 200 clients with around 10 Hubs, 100 Windows machines, 100 Mac machines.

HUB/Client computer details

HUB manufacturer(s): Dell

HUB model(s) and SKU: Optiplex 7050 Micro Form Factor

Client model(s): The affected models are Apple TouchBar MacBook Pro's

Intel Unite® Client version: 4.0

Intel Unite® HUB version: 4.0

The hub shouldn't matter to my knowledge as I don't get to the point of being able to enter a code for any of the hubs.

I've attached a short video of the user experience.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, Thank you for your response. We will review the information provided and get back to you as soon as possible. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

Wanner,

I discovered by accident that if I launch the app with no internet connection or on another network, then it launches and brings me to a welcome screen. Once it's launched, I can turn it back on or switch back to my internal network, and proceed to connect to the hub without issue. If I close and re-launch however, I end up in the same boat as previously mentioned. I'm attaching another video demonstrating what I am talking about.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, We will include this information on the research we are doing. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, We are still working on your issue. Please attach the following information: Open the terminal console and go to Documents/Unite/Logs. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

I've attached a Zip of the whole Logs folder as there a multiple.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BNorw, Thank you for attaching the log files requested. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

Wanner,

Just checking in for an update, I'm hoping there is more information or progress that I can report to my manager. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help move this forward.

0 Kudos
BNorw
Beginner

@WannerG_Intel​ 

Is there any update to this issue?

0 Kudos