cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QToma
Beginner

Intel Unite Client install fails and breaks Win10

Hi,

I have an issue on my work setup which relies on a simple setup (one computer running Unite standalone on the conference room TV, each client running the Unite client). I tried to install the same client (I believe v3.0 downloaded in February 2017 from Dell) software on a new computer XPS13 running a Coffee Lake i5-8250U and Windows 10 PRO (up to date). This installation seems to complete successfully but once rebooting the computer, I cannot access the desktop anymore (even safe mode). The computer tries an auto-repair but it fails ; all further attempts at fixing the problem, including various tries in command prompt using bootrec, fail. The only solution is to restore the computer to its original state, meaning I loose all configuration and program installations (and believe me, uninstalling 6 versions of Office365 is not my idea of a good time).

I have subsequently found that a newer version, 3.1, of the Unite Client exists, dated August 2017. But before I attempt to install it, I would like to be sure that the problem I have encountered will not happen again - I'm already on my third configuration of that computer and pretty fed up, I don't think I have the patience for a fourth one. Any experience with Unite client running on a Coffee Lake processor is appreciated! In the meantime I will stay away from Unite, but it's a shame because my experience with that solution has been very positive so far.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Qiou87: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Unite™ app communities. We are sorry to hear the application is not working as expected.

Just to confirm, are you using the XPS13 as a hub?

In order to try to fix this problem please un-install the current version that you have of Intel® Unite and then try to install the following version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25280/Intel-Unite-App https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25280/Intel-Unite-App

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

QToma
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

No, I am using the XPS13 as a client. The hub is a Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro ("small business configuration" is the proper term I think when having a single hub and multiple clients on a single network).

Anyway the problem is when trying to install the v3.0 of the client software, the computer will restart at the end of installation but will appear to have a "broken" Windows install upon reboot - never completing a single reboot despite multiple tries with all recovery tools available. Only a clean Windows refresh (factory refresh) will allow me to use the computer again.

So the question is: will the latest v3.1 solve this issue I am having, maybe caused by the fact that my hardware is a little bit too "fresh", or should I wait for the next version? Again I want to point out that I do not wish to "try" because that would potentially set me back again to a fresh install state, should the newer version still present the same problem as v3.0.

Sincerely,

Q.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Qiou87: Thank you very much for providing that information. In order to better assist you, could you please provide the SSU report?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Once you install the tool and run it, it will allow you to save the report as a file, please attach it to the thread. To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Alberto R

QToma
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Attached is the scan report as requested.

Q.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Qiou87: Thank you very much for providing that file. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post al the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R