Intel Unite® App
Gain crucial understandings of the Intel Unite® App
Announcements
This product has been discontinued. This board is currently read only and no longer accepting new posts. Learn more
459 Discussions

Intel Unite Standalone Hub Wifi

NCott2
Beginner

Hello;

Intel Unite Standalone Hub only works when connected by cable (Ethernet) but not when on Wifi (both client and Hub in same Vlan and WLAN); is there a plugin required on the Hub for Intel Unite over Wifi to function?

When Hub is connected over Wifi (same SSID/WLAN as clients), clients are unable to find the Hub when tryin to connect.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The Intel Unite standalone hub needs to be on the same subnet as the clients. After verifying this, if the client is still not connecting, please make sure you don't have firewall restrictions turned on for the Unite app.

Thanks,

Stan

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner

Hello and thanks for your reply;

Yes, both Hub and client on same WLAN, but client is unable to find Hub. There is no firewall in this scenario.

It only works when both client and Hub are wired on same VLAN.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few more questions for you to help us figure out the issue:

- Can you provide some information on the VLAN setup?

- When using wireless, what networking equipment is between the client and the hub (do they connect to the same AP)?

- What are the results is you ping the hub from the client when connected via wireless?

- Are the clients windows-based systems, or Mac?

Thanks for you response.

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information. Sorry to ask more questions, but I need a little more information to pinpoint what is going on.

- Which version of Intel Unite are you using?

- Which WiFi standard are you using to connect (802.11b, n, or ac)?

- What is the model of the system being used as the hub?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner

Hi;

The answers are the following:

- Intel Unite 2.0.27.10

- Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 (802.11ac)

- HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop Mini (intel CORE i5 vPro)

Does Intel Unite and Intel WiDi are the same product/technology? If not what's the difference?

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The system and software versions look good. Just a couple more items to check.

- Can you check the ServerConfig.xml file on both the hub system and the client? It can be viewed with a text editor, and both should contain this line: StandAlone. The hub file can be found at c:\program files (x86)\Intel\Intel Unite\Hub. On the client the file can be found at c:\program files (x86)\Intel\Intel Unite\Client.

- Please check that Windows Firewall (or any other firewall software) is disabled when testing.

- Can you run "ipconfig/all" from a command prompt on both the hub and the client and send a screen capture of the results?

If these items don't lead us to an answer it would probably be best to set up a time to work with one of our senior support engineers on the phone. Just let me know if this works for you and we can arrange the details via private message.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner

Hi Stan and thanks for your support;

A couple of questions before proceeding:

Intel Unite and WiDi are the same? If not, what's the difference?

Intel Unite Enterprise allows the hub and clients to reside in different VLANs?

Attached the answers.

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for providing the information in your last post. I will answer your other questions while we look over the information.

Intel Unite and Intel WiDi are different products. Intel WiDi uses a receiver attached to the display, and clients attach to the receiver using the WiDi client software or Miracast function built into Windows 8.1 and later. Much of the time WiDi is used for a single client to connect and share content on the shared display (conference room, living room). WiDi includes the ability to stream full HD, protected content, and surround sound. Please note that the discontinuation of Intel WiDi has been announced.

Intel Unite uses a NUC or mini-computer attached to the conference room display, and a server in an enterprise environment. Clients can quickly connect to the hub to share content or view the shared content remotely.

In an enterprise configuration, Intel Unite does allow for the hub and clients to be on different VLANs as long as all the systems can communicate with the Unite server. Of course any firewall software in use will need to be configured to allow the Intel Unite application to pass.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner

Excellent. Thanks for the information.

If Unite if able to work over WLAN, it will be of great use for us.

Regards,

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner

Hello Stan;

Any update on your research?

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this has taken longer than expected - thanks for being patient. I have found out some more information on what may be going on with your installation. At this point it would be helpful if we could setup a time to speak on the phone. I think it would save a lot of back and forth.

If that is agreeable for you, you can PM me your contact information - or you can PM me and I will provide my contact information.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NCott2
Beginner

Ok. I've sent my contact information.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

0 Kudos
RVazq
Beginner

Hello Stan,

I have a similar problem that the one reported by fuhrersk8. We are testing Intel Unite at the office, the hub is a Dell Optiplex7040, clients work fine when connecting infrastructure by cable and even by wifi when we use a domestic ADSL, but when we try to connect using the corporative wifi infrastructure, clients cannot connect.

Our wifi infrastructure is 802.11n and we are using Intel Unite version 2.0.27.10

So far I have checked that hub and clients are connected to the same vlan when using wifi infrastructure, and they can ping each other. The only thing that is weird for me is that when checking the wifi connection for the hub in our console (Cisco Prime) it shows two associations (in the same vlan but with different ip's) one for the physical MAC and another for a MAC which I cannot identify in the hub, in fact when drilling down into the details of the association of the physical MAC the actual data showed for it is the same assigned to the other MAC. Could it be a virtual MAC related with Intel Unite?

Thanks for your support

Regards

0 Kudos
AMich5
Beginner

@Stan_at_Intel Could you update us with the solution please?

We are having the same issue as described in the OP.

0 Kudos
Claudio_G_Intel1
Employee

uniteuser2016, can you describe which router you are using?

0 Kudos
AMich5
Beginner
0 Kudos
Claudio_G_Intel1
Employee

uniteuser2016 can you provide me with your contact information through private message?

0 Kudos
APodš
Beginner

dany_at_intel, Stan_at_Intel, Could you update us with the solution please?

We are having the same issue as described in the OP.

We are using MikroTik RouterBoard RB2011UiAS-RM with two RBcAP2n

HUB: Dell OptiPlex 7040 MFF, Core i5 vPro, Win 10 Pro

Client: Dell Latitude E5520, Core i7-2620M, Win 10 Pro

0 Kudos
Claudio_G_Intel1
Employee

The best configuration you can have for standalone on the router is basically as default. Standalone is highly dependent on having the same subnet for all of the machines, so please verify that currently you do not have more than 1 subnet running.

0 Kudos