Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Unite v4.x: Process for upgrade across enterprise.

We have installed Intel Unite server, hubs and clients across our enterprise using build 2741.12. Recently Intel released build 4173.30 which is supposed to provide support for Dell Optiplex 7070 devices.

We can find no documentation regarding the proper methodology to update all components to the new build.

The install media has .mui installer files for installation of new hubs, new clients and a brand new install of the server. The install media also include .cab files for uploading to the Unite infrastructure via the Admin Portal.

Is there documentation that describes how those .cab files interact with the existing deployed infrastructure? EG: I we upload the new Hub .cab files, will it spawn an upgrade to the existing deployed hubs?

Secondly, how do we upgrade the Unite Server without reinstalling the entire server, database, webserver, etc.?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hello KImme1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to inform you that we currently do not have exact documentation that explains how to update our Intel Unite® app since the update process is very simple. 

In order to update your environment you only have to run the latest installation files on the Server, Hubs, and clients, click on next until it finishes. Also, make sure you are uploading the .cab files to the Admin Web Portal, creating and assigning configurations for the Hubs and Clients. Please note that this has to be done every time you update Intel® Unite.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that by following this process you will not lose any data and you will not have to reinstall the entire server, database, web server, etc.

Thank you for your patience and understanding on this matter. Please let us know if you have any additional request.  

Esteban Ch.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Esteban: Thanks for the reply. But I still have a few questions. You mention that the upgrade installation is simple and that I should run installation files on every component. I assume you are referring to the .msi files. If so, then what is the purpose of the .cab files? I thought that they were uploaded to the server so that the hub components would be auto updated once the newer .cab files were associate to the hubs. Are you saying that I will need to perform a manual upgrade of each hub device within my enterprise by visiting the device and running the MSI? Thanks Sent from my mobile. Please excuse typos and unintended autocorrection.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello KImme1,

Let me do my best to clear your doubts,

Indeed, I was referring to the ".msi" (installation files) and since they are msi files then you can create a script to automatize the update on each hub and client. Also, I would like to mention that the ".cab" files are needed because these packages contain the core configuration and feature/apps modules use to configure and extend the capabilities of the hubs and clients. If packages are not uploaded to the server, the hubs and clients will not be configured, and they will not be functional. 

Finally, I would like to mention that if you already have the Intel Unite® working without any issues the update is not needed since the update contains hotfixes to some problems on previous versions. 

Best regards, 

Esteban Ch. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello KImme1,

I would like to know if you need further assistance on the update process of our Intel Unite® app? 

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello KImme1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos