Intel Unite® App
Gain crucial understandings of the Intel Unite® App
Announcements
This product has been discontinued. This board is currently read only and no longer accepting new posts. Learn more
459 Discussions

Rolling out Enterprise clients (and hubs) without DNS SRV record

TBain1
Beginner

We have a distributed IT infrastructure. We are a departmental IT group looking at using Intel Unite in our meeting rooms. We do not want to claim the DNS SRV record for the entire organization but we do need to run the enterprise version of the software.

For Mac clients, we can have the users enter the server setting.

For the Windows client, we need to modify the ServerConfig.xml file (post-installation). That's a pain. We are looking at modifying the installation package source(s) on the server (i.e. repackage to include the modified ServerConfig.xml file). That too is a pain.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi etb,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will take a look at this request in regard to the ServerConfig.xml file modification.

I have forwarded this information to the appropriate team. I will update this thread as soon as I get news about this matter.

Allan.
0 Kudos
RHein3
Beginner

I was going the other way... I'd truly like to use the DNS srv record, but it does not seem to be picking up in my Windows/AD environment.

I've updated hub, server and client to 3.1 latest release, but even though the client is on the same subnet, it's not picking up the unite server.

0 Kudos
TBain1
Beginner

rheiniluoma

After canvassing other IT admins and central IT to determine if it was okay for us to 'claim' the uniteservice SRV record, the SRV record was added pointing to our Unite Enterprise server and everything works now (for us). If you cannot make the following query work, then something is wrong with the DNS record:

nslookup

> set q=srv

> _uniteservice._tcp

It took a couple of iterations with our DNS admins but once we could get this to resolve on the local workstations (Windows and Mac), the client worked fine.

0 Kudos
RHein3
Beginner

Names changed to protect the innocent:

C:\>nslookup

Default Server: mydns.mydomain.com

Address: dns.ip.address

> set q=srv

> _uniteservice._tcp

Server: mydns.mydomain.com

Address: dns.ip.address

_uniteservice._tcp.mydomain.com SRV service location:

priority = 0

weight = 100

port = 443

svr hostname = uniteserver.mydomain.com

uniteserver.mydomain.com internet address = unite.ip

>

U:\>ping uniteserver.mydomain.com

Pinging uniteserver.mydomain.com [unite.ip] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from unite.ip: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

When I have the ServerConfig.xml in its default state, of no defined server hosts, I get the Intel Unite app is having trouble contacting your server.

But as soon as I put in

https://uniteserver.mydomain.com/Unite/CCService.asmx

It connects immediately.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello etb,

Thank you for your patience. I have received this information from the engineering department.

In order to have connection from the hub and clients, you should manually enter the address of the server.

This could make your installation a little harder as this will be required for every single machine, you can assign the server address at the installers.

Hope this helps.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello etb,

After reviewing this case, I am wondering if you still need assistance with Intel® Unite.

Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
TBain1
Beginner

Hi Allan

I was able to "secure the rights" for the use of the DNS SRV records for our entire domain so I'm okay.

However, I would suggest that Intel update the Windows client software to make it possible to override the DNS search (without editing the XML file on each client). This is currently available on the Mac client software. Without this and then DNS SRV record, the one-time run download does not work (it spins, looking for the DNS record and then fails. Attendees can download the "regular" package but telling them to download the software and then crack open a text editor and edit the ServerConfig.xml file doesn't really help us in our goal of getting meetings and content sharing up and running quickly. Alternatively, for the one-off download, having the ability to slipstream an updated ServerConfig.xml into the download package (without having to re-sign/certify the existing download package) would help.

So, while things are up and running for me, had I not been able to secure the DNS SRV record for our domain from Central IT, I would have been moving towards another content sharing solution (not Intel Unite). Hence my suggestion to make it a configurable option on the client side.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello etb,

I appreciate your valuable comment in regard to the Intel® Unite software. We always strive to exceed our customers' expectations and meet their requirements.

Thank you for taking the time and share your comment.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
RPada
Beginner

Hello,

can we have possible solution (for client package and HUB package) from intel on this issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ram_NN,

Thank you for updating this thread. I will need to forward this information to the appropriate team. I will come back as news become available. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ram_NN,

Thank you for your patience, I just received some notifications from the engineering team, they are aware of this request and they are working to implement this feature in a near future. I still do not have an estimated time for this feature to be released. At the moment, the only option is to enter the address manually.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos